Is Julia Forem unused?

I connected to Julia Forem recently and I have seen and reported a lot of spam posts, I am wondering if the content is moving to other website now.

Also, if there is need for help. I could help with that.

1 Like

It was one of Logan’s initiatives when he was Community Manager, but he’s since moved on.

I don’t know about the current status of the Community Manager post at present - but perhaps someone will have the necessary passwords to make changes…

2 Likes

Agreed this is a pretty terrible look - probably best to somehow lock it to prevent spam posts appearing unless someone wants to maintain it? @viralbshah

2 Likes

I am still cleaning up on a daily basis there, but new good articles are not very often.

2 Likes

To share content practically we have Julia Bloggers which is a blog aggregator and Medium as well, I like Forem because anyone can write an article there and read it without paywalls. But if there is not so much content, I don’t know if it’s worth it to maintain.

2 Likes

Also in the left side panel it still shows Register for JuliaCon 2022.

As an outsider, if I would see this, I’d believe it’s outdated and move on.

1 Like

I was able to change this (which I didn’t know that I can).

1 Like

I guess the best would be to also just remove the top Python posts as they seem not to relate to Julia?

1 Like

I’ll see if I can sort this out.

2 Likes

I am aware of them, but thought they aren’t not so bad as informattion so I let them there. Perhaps I just rate them down.

Quality down: now they are not in the latest list. Better it is.

1 Like

On the right, the 3 Tags which are listed, especially events , is still outdated, but only super-admins can change this, which I am not :frowning:
So, perhaps @logankilpatrick can update them or promote me.

I have updated you to have admin access. Thanks for stepping up to help moderate forem.

1 Like

If you can share your forem username with me, I can promote you to be able to moderate it.

2 Likes

For information and for other moderators, I have changed my moderating actions lately.
What I do now is on a new spam article = spam article opened to read

1. Click on Admin
  2. Edit (new browser window opened)
  3. remove all tags, add tag #spam
  4. Save
  5. close new browser window
  6. Click on user name
  7. Assign role
  8. Role “Suspended”, Note: Spam
  9. Add
  10. Assign role
  11. Role “Spam”, Note: Spam
  12. Add

Thats it.

2 Likes

Thanks, first action as admin: removed events from right side bar.
I will see if I am aware enough to new events and if I manage to add them in future.

1 Like

No problem, you can find me for @navi, here is the link of my profile if that helps.

A while a go, when I put a spammer into the Spam role, the spam article wasn’t available anymore, trying to open it, returned a 404.

This has changed now, or a some time ago. The spam article is still readable.

I think this is a bad policy, because it still fulfills the spammers goals, they have the spam article online.
Did someone change something? Can we have back the old behavior? Or should I delete the article now? Some more clicks to do… :frowning:

1 Like

Which spam article is it?

Can you tell us the title and the author? I hope it is not mine.

What?
It’s all Spam articles, not yours, just the spam.

???