Slow TagBot. No repo update after 16 hours

I registered a new release of SIAMFANLEquations.jl yesterday. Things seem fine at

https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General/pull/60018

and the new version is in the registry,

but my github repo does not show the new release after 16 hours.

Is there a problem with TagBot or did something go wrong that I missed?

This worked fine for the last release in early April.

My tagbot.yml is

name: TagBot
on:
  issue_comment:
    types:
      - created
  workflow_dispatch:
jobs:
  TagBot:
    if: github.event_name == 'workflow_dispatch' || github.actor == 'JuliaTagBot'
    runs-on: ubuntu-latest
    steps:
      - uses: JuliaRegistries/TagBot@v1
        with:
          token: ${{ secrets.GITHUB_TOKEN }}
          ssh: ${{ secrets.DOCUMENTER_KEY }}
1 Like

https://github.com/ctkelley/SIAMFANLEquations.jl/runs/6375100102?check_suite_focus=true

Warning: GitHub returned a 5xx error code

Sounds like a GitHub issue. If you go to TagBot · Workflow runs · ctkelley/SIAMFANLEquations.jl · GitHub you should have a button to manually trigger the workflow again.

1 Like

Thanks, I hit the button, got a green check after a minute or so, and got the 5xx message

Annotations
1 warning
TagBot
GitHub returned a 5xx error code

The tag did not happen.

Should I manually tag the release or wait awhile and try again?

CC: @christopher-dG

It gets stranger. I just got an email from TagBot telling me that it expected to see a tag and did not.

Triggering TagBot for merged registry pull request

This extra notification is being sent because I expected a tag to exist by now, but it doesn't.
You may want to check your TagBot configuration to ensure that it's running, and if it is, check the logs to make sure that there are no errors.

I found the logs and the problem is still there. The logs say

Run JuliaRegistries/TagBot@v1
/usr/bin/docker run --name ghcriojuliaregistriestagbot1141_a8f95d --label 08450d --workdir /github/workspace --rm -e INPUT_TOKEN -e INPUT_SSH -e INPUT_REGISTRY -e INPUT_GITHUB -e INPUT_GITHUB_API -e INPUT_BRANCHES -e INPUT_DISPATCH -e INPUT_DISPATCH_DELAY -e INPUT_LOOKBACK -e INPUT_SSH_PASSWORD -e INPUT_GPG -e INPUT_GPG_PASSWORD -e INPUT_REGISTRY_SSH -e INPUT_DRAFT -e INPUT_USER -e INPUT_EMAIL -e INPUT_BRANCH -e INPUT_CHANGELOG -e INPUT_CHANGELOG_IGNORE -e HOME -e GITHUB_JOB -e GITHUB_REF -e GITHUB_SHA -e GITHUB_REPOSITORY -e GITHUB_REPOSITORY_OWNER -e GITHUB_RUN_ID -e GITHUB_RUN_NUMBER -e GITHUB_RETENTION_DAYS -e GITHUB_RUN_ATTEMPT -e GITHUB_ACTOR -e GITHUB_WORKFLOW -e GITHUB_HEAD_REF -e GITHUB_BASE_REF -e GITHUB_EVENT_NAME -e GITHUB_SERVER_URL -e GITHUB_API_URL -e GITHUB_GRAPHQL_URL -e GITHUB_REF_NAME -e GITHUB_REF_PROTECTED -e GITHUB_REF_TYPE -e GITHUB_WORKSPACE -e GITHUB_ACTION -e GITHUB_EVENT_PATH -e GITHUB_ACTION_REPOSITORY -e GITHUB_ACTION_REF -e GITHUB_PATH -e GITHUB_ENV -e GITHUB_STEP_SUMMARY -e RUNNER_OS -e RUNNER_ARCH -e RUNNER_NAME -e RUNNER_TOOL_CACHE -e RUNNER_TEMP -e RUNNER_WORKSPACE -e ACTIONS_RUNTIME_URL -e ACTIONS_RUNTIME_TOKEN -e ACTIONS_CACHE_URL -e GITHUB_ACTIONS=true -e CI=true -v "/var/run/docker.sock":"/var/run/docker.sock" -v "/home/runner/work/_temp/_github_home":"/github/home" -v "/home/runner/work/_temp/_github_workflow":"/github/workflow" -v "/home/runner/work/_temp/_runner_file_commands":"/github/file_commands" -v "/home/runner/work/SIAMFANLEquations.jl/SIAMFANLEquations.jl":"/github/workspace" ghcr.io/juliaregistries/tagbot:1.14.1
Warning: GitHub returned a 5xx error code
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/root/tagbot/action/__main__.py", line 74, in <module>
    versions = repo.new_versions()
  File "/root/tagbot/action/repo.py", line 432, in new_versions
    return self._filter_map_versions(versions)
  File "/root/tagbot/action/repo.py", line 271, in _filter_map_versions
    expected = self._commit_sha_from_registry_pr(version, tree)
  File "/root/tagbot/action/repo.py", line 205, in _commit_sha_from_registry_pr
    pr = self._registry_pr(version)
  File "/root/tagbot/action/repo.py", line 196, in _registry_pr
    for pr in prs:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/github/PaginatedList.py", line 56, in __iter__
    newElements = self._grow()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/github/PaginatedList.py", line 67, in _grow
    newElements = self._fetchNextPage()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/github/PaginatedList.py", line 199, in _fetchNextPage
    headers, data = self.__requester.requestJsonAndCheck(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/github/Requester.py", line 315, in requestJsonAndCheck
    return self.__check(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/github/Requester.py", line 340, in __check
    raise self.__createException(status, responseHeaders, output)
github.GithubException.GithubException: 502 {"message": "Server Error"}
Complete job

The emails from TagBot were increasing in frequency to every four hours. I just gave up and pushed the new release manually so (I hope) TagBot will be happy and Pkg will be able to find the new release.

That’s unrelated. TagBot is completely optional and it not working in no way impacts the usage of your package.

1 Like

OK. Pkg seemed to be doing the right things on my computers and I did not know that my tagging the repo was optional.

Thanks,

You can also disable email notifications for failed workflows in your GitHub settings, they’re pretty annoying anyway, I disabled them after the first email I got when they started. See also Configuring notifications - GitHub Docs.

1 Like

Same thing here (Clapeyron.jl 0.3.6)

I have been getting weird 5xx errors since two weeks ago, and got no luck in recovering the old nice automatic workflow for one of my packages last week, so I had to manually add tags and releases.

It happened again yesterday when I tried to register a new patch for another package, but somehow magically TagBot did its job for the 1st retriggering attempt today.

1 Like

what is weirder is that TagBot doesn’t appear as failed, so a branch catching the error seems to be missing. i opened an issue github errors, but tagbot appears as successful · Issue #238 · JuliaRegistries/TagBot · GitHub

Same error (actually reported as a warning) for several of my repositories (e.g. DataBags). I tried to manually re-run the TagBot job but it stops almost immediately with status Skipped at on: issue_comment. Is there some guidelines to properly register a new version of a Julia package on GitHub?

1 Like

Note that while having TagBot working again would be great (I hope @christopher-dG will be able to have a look at some point)

1. the package manager doesn’t care about git tags at all. The only thing which matters is the registry
  2. you can create the git tag manually if you really want it
2 Likes

I have to sat that this does not affect all repositories, so it is possible to check what is the common cause?. In my specific case, the repository that was updated via juliahub didn’t work, but the one using JuliaRegistrator does

The LiftedMaps v0.4.0 release suffers from the same problem. Registered via Juliahub.

For anyone still experiencing this issue, it may be due to a permission change that Github implemented some time early May (credit to @mfiano for figuring this out). The default permission for GITHUB_TOKEN was changed from “read and write” to “read only”.

The TagBot README and the example.yml show the way to restore the required permissions at the YAML file level. (This comment describes the issue and shows a way to fix it via Github UI, on a per-repository level.)

The YAML change just involves adding

permissions:
  contents: write

to TagBot.yml

9 Likes