Software Engineer - Simulation
South San Francisco, California
Do you want to change the world? Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building, manufacturing and operating the first instant delivery and logistics system that serves all humans equally, wherever they are. From powering Rwanda’s national blood delivery network and Ghana’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution, to providing on-demand home delivery for Walmart, to enabling healthcare providers to bring care directly to U.S. homes, we are transforming the way things move for businesses, governments and consumers. The technology is complex but the idea is simple: a teleportation service that delivers what you need, when you need it. Through our technology that includes robotics and autonomy, we are decarbonizing delivery, decreasing road congestion, and reducing fossil fuel consumption and air pollution, while providing equitable access to billions of people and building a more resilient global supply chain.
Join Zipline and help us to make good on our promise to build an equitable and more resilient global supply chain for billions of people.
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies on multiple continents, 7 days a week. We believe access to medical care should not depend on your GPS coordinates. In service of our mission to operate safely at global scale, we’re growing our simulation capabilities to expand quickly into new products and locations, with the ultimate goal of delivering essential packages right to your doorstep. Our simulation team is looking for a software engineer who already understands robot / flight simulation challenges or is interested in familiarizing themself with this problem set. This engineer will be responsible for designing, implementing and supporting simulations used to develop, validate, verify and certify our systems.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Develop simulation software used by various teams for development, validation and certification
- Develop tools to improve the productivity of simulation users, such as graphical and command line interfaces
- Work alongside autonomy teams to integrate simulation with flight code and hardware
- Work alongside the modeling team to implement simulation models
- Generate simulation test scenarios
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Strong software engineering skills, with proficiency in at least one strongly typed language (e.g. Julia, C, C++, Python)
- Experience developing software in production environments
- Experience with simulation of robots or vehicles (e.g. satellite, car, drone, plane)
- A basic understanding of fundamental physics
- A basic understanding of numerical methods and optimization fundamentals
- Empathy for your users — You’re comfortable talking to other engineers about the challenges they’re facing and iterating together on solutions
- Aerospace relevant engineering experience is a plus, but not required
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented.