Senior Software Engineer - SF Bay Area - Remote

Orchard Ultrasound Innovation is a well-funded startup in stealth-mode consisting of entrepreneurs, inventors, scientists, and engineers inventing new ultrasound technology to solve some of humanity’s big challenges. We innovate ultrasound technology to improve the lives of millions or even billions of people.

We started as a research group at Stanford University and are now working on commercializing unique R&D projects. We launched as an independent research and development lab in early 2020 in the San Francisco Bay Area and are already working on multiple ground-breaking projects.

Part of our team currently works from home and that is also an option for this role. We put a lot of emphasis on teamwork and are therefore only looking for applicants within the US time zones.

We are focused on growth, in particular, on the software team. This role will be the first hire on the software team, and as a founding member, will be an integral part of helping to shape the future of the software and the software team.

As our first and most senior software hire, we expect you to be an expert Julia programmer and have a strong foundation in software development such as refactoring, clean code, and clean design. We work as an agile software team and you should enjoy working in an agile environment which for us means shared ownership, team work, pair programming, and TDD. We’d like you to have experience with agile development, whether it’s XP, Scrum, Kanban or something fourth. We care about real work experiences and less about certifications.

Technologies We Use
We work almost exclusively with Julia but we tinker a bit with other programming languages as well (currently TypeScript, Python and Matlab). In all of our current projects the software is embedded in a physical device, some of which have a UI while others don’t. For the UI we use Electron and the React framework. We are also utilizing Travis CI (for open source code), CircleCI (for closed source code), GitHub, Codecov, Ubuntu Core, and Snap.

We’re believers of open source software and will be open sourcing multiple Julia packages such as common ultrasound algorithms.

What You’ll Do:

• Work as part of the R&D team where you will be working on both systems programming and implementation of algorithms to run in real-time (on both CPU and GPU).
  • As part of the team, help plan which features will be included in proof-of-concept products.
  • You’ll be one of the first hires and get to influence the direction the company will move in and shape what your role should look like.

What You’ll Need:

• Expert level proficiency in Julia programming.
  • Passion about what you do. You like programming so much that it’s not only a job for you it’s also a hobby.
  • You are curious and seek new and better ways to solve problems. As indicated in our name we are all about innovation and we expect ideas and progress to come from every member of our team.
  • You are adept and have an ability to quickly pick up new skills.
  • We implement a lot of real-time algorithms and therefore knowledge of linear algebra is a plus.
  • You like rolling up your sleeves but also looking at the big picture and have a sense of humor.
  • BS or MS degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related engineering field or equivalent.
  • We have several open positions requiring varying levels of experience.
  • Experience with agile development is a plus.

You should include these in your application:

• Links to online profiles you use (e.g. GitHub, Twitter, a Blog, etc).
  • A description of your work history (whether as a resume, LinkedIn profile, or prose).
  • A description (and preferably a link to) pet projects that you’ve worked on.
  • We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to solve big problems.

We look forward to hearing from you - Apply now by sending us your application to: recruiting@orchardultrasound.com.

10 Likes

Why is orchardultrasound.com out of function?

Right, we should get a simple website up and running.
We don’t have a website yet simply because we haven’t prioritized it yet. As I stated above we’re still in stealth mode and we don’t have any customers yet. But for hiring purposes it would be nice to have at least a basic website.

I’d be very happy to answer any other questions there might be - I just want to warn that I’ll unfortunately be slow at replying since I’m at the hospital with my wife who’s in the early stage of labor :wink:

4 Likes

Best of luck to you and your wife!

But have you heard of Franklin.jl?

Ok no seriously hope things go well! :slight_smile: Wife and I did the same earlier this year, talk about a stressful time.

2 Likes

Interesting. Not in US time zone can not be team work… is this necessrily true? I used to work for an Australian bank with a modelling team in the US.

So yeah, I can see different perspectives on this one.

1 Like

Hey I’m also a Stanford alum, though currently in the midwest :slight_smile: Can you link us to your previous academic research? I’m an EE familiar with imaging reconstruction algorithms - really curious about the position. Thanks!

1 Like