Setting up Julia on Ubuntu?

I’m trying to put julia v0.6.4 on my Ubuntu server. But I hardly ever use Ubuntu these days.

The downloaded binary runs but wont precompile any packages, so I guess I’m missing some deps.
Does someone have a simple up-to-date gist of the process with deps that need to be installed?

This sounds odd. The binaries should just work, including precompilation. Does precompilation fail for all packages or just the ones which need to build some non-Julia dependencies? If the latter, then you might be missing some *-dev ubuntu packages.

1 Like

There’s nothing else, no deps no nothing. Just download from Download Julia and then put a symlink if you want.

Ok something weird must be happening:

julia> using OhMyREPL
INFO: Precompiling module OhMyREPL.
ERROR: Failed to precompile OhMyREPL to /home/cloud/.julia/lib/v0.6/OhMyREPL.ji.
 [1] compilecache(::String) at ./loading.jl:710
 [2] _require(::Symbol) at ./loading.jl:497
 [3] require(::Symbol) at ./loading.jl:405

And with my own packages, the one with no deps precompiles, but the one that depends on it wont compile:

julia> using MetaFields

julia> using Flatten
INFO: Precompiling module Flatten.
ERROR: Failed to precompile Flatten to /home/cloud/.julia/lib/v0.6/Flatten.ji.
 [1] compilecache(::String) at ./loading.jl:710
 [2] _require(::Symbol) at ./loading.jl:497
 [3] require(::Symbol) at ./loading.jl:405

I’m confused.

Edit: somehow it starts to work after x amount of, using and restarts.

Edit2: but not consistenly! So I’m still confused…

I would just delete the precompilation files in /home/cloud/.julia/lib/v0.6 and let Julia regenerate it.

It was ram. 1GB is not enough!

Is it a super old computer or a small single board computer?

Its just a very small, cheap digital ocean server. Julia seems to be more resource intensive than python/php in what its minimum specs are.

But Julia works on the Raspberry Pi which has less than 1Gbyte RAM

I dont have my Pi handy at the moment so I cant check if it does not precompile.

1 Like

There was an issue with RAM usage recently, if I remember correctly, @kristoffer.carlsson was working on that.

Well, it was more like the stuff I put in made the RAM usage go up, heh.

But this was when building the sysimg, not when precompiling packages.


Julia works fine, it was just some package precompiles that spiked.

I found out the droplet was actually still on the old 512MB setting they no longer offer as I hadn’t restarted it to get 1GB I was paying for! But I do love that Ubuntu just runs for 2 years without restarting…

With 2GB all the package precompiles worked.