Seeking Julia mentors and projects for GSoC 2022

Hey all,

It is that time of year again, Google Summer of Code time! While we are a long way from the summer, preparation is already underway. We are putting out this call for mentors to support a student (or multiple students) this summer during GSoC. If you don’t know much about GSoC, I suggest checking out: What is Google Summer of Code? | Google Summer of Code Guides

If you want to add your project to GSoC and mentor, please make a PR to https://github.com/JuliaLang/www.julialang.org/tree/main/jsoc/gsoc and add the details.

If you have any questions, please post here or spring me via email / slack. Looking forward to another awesome year of GSoC!!

16 Likes

Could you share a bit more about the process Julia is taking here? Is Julia Computing the organization under whose umbrella these projects will be submitted to Google? Are all projects from that repo going to be submitted or is there an internal (to Julia) filter that will be applied first? If I am interested in submitting a project, what else do I need to provide to you to prove my ability to be a mentor?

3 Likes

Thank you @logankilpatrick , submitted a new proposal:

https://github.com/JuliaLang/www.julialang.org/pull/1497

Looking forward to meeting dedicated students interested in Julia :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey @Krastanov :

Is Julia Computing the organization under whose umbrella these projects will be submitted to Google?

Julia Computing is a for-profit business and not the same as the Julia Language, see The Julia Project and Its Entities for details

Are all projects from that repo going to be submitted or is there an internal (to Julia) filter that will be applied first?

I would spend a few minutes reading through: How it Works | Google Summer of Code to get some extra context for the program. But the way it works is mentors propose projects, students apply for those projects, and then google pays those students to work on the projects.

If I am interested in submitting a project, what else do I need to provide to you to prove my ability to be a mentor?

If you have a Julia project you contribute to or maintain, all you need to do is open a PR and add it to the site. Then, as students trickle in, help them get started and review applications (more on that later). I would highly encourage you to again check out the GSoC site as I think they do a good job of laying all this out.

We would love to have you as a mentor, even if this is your first time doing so. Pinging @TheCedarPrince who I think was also a first-time mentor last year.

1 Like

Thanks @logankilpatrick! I have been both a student participant and a mentor for GSoC in the past, but only for single-topic software project. The idea of a language organization being the patron for an arbitrary software project that happens to be written in that language is what was new to me. Your explanation was very helpful.

2 Likes

Happy to help, and yes, the Julia Language serves as an umbrella org for the whole Julia community so as long as the project uses Julia, it can participate under our umbrella which saves the smaller projects overhead.

1 Like

Hey Logan!

Actually, are you still planning on doing a potential GSoC AMA session?
I think (in the spirit of doing many things at once), I would be happy to provide a first time mentor perspective and to contribute during the AMA!

~ tcp :deciduous_tree:

4 Likes

Yes, let’s do it!