Seeking Data Science/Analyst/Chemistry Role

Looking to move on to a new role.

I have primary domain knowledge in chemistry, but have also worked in cyber security, CV, and GIS domains. Obtained my Ph.D. in “chemometrics” which is similar to econometrics, but focuses on extracting valuable/hidden information from chemical signals. Entirely willing to depart from chemistry for another area; learning new domains is fun for me.

I’m good at:

• applying theory to make preprocessing/models perform better, train faster, and be more effective.
  • Delivering on R&D projects with dead-lines.
  • Project management(expectation management, handling scope creep, time estimation, etc).
  • Intimately familiar with small data approaches to modelling (< 50 samples) but have also operated on datasets that had millions or more of dynamic observations.
  • No trouble doing ETL, but my experience is primarily with on premises systems (security reasons).
  • Translating hard problems into creative solutions
  • Standing up prototypes quickly, and maintaining best practices (git, documentation, etc).
  • Generating ideas for markets, or applications to technologies.

I prefer Julia (2 yrs) but could get back up to speed on Python (2+ yrs), R (3yrs), or Matlab, pretty easily. Have written Java, Scala, C#, and C/C++ in professional environments but am definitely not a seasoned enterprise level software developer in those languages. Happy to learn more.

Ideal employer/team:

• Collaborative environment/Not extremely toxic management/healthy culture.
  • Continuous learning encouraged
  • Ideally near (<200 miles) South East Mi, USA (family reasons) or mostly remote
  • Research is really fun. Doesn’t have to be blue sky but having uncanned problem statements is where I shine and have the most fun at work.
  • Product/service that serves a higher mission than profits would be ideal because its motivating.

May delete this post but its good practice.

8 Likes

Surely you don’t set the bar too high. :wink:

3 Likes

I was worried that the list might be unobtainable. The way I see it is if 1/4 of those ideals are in place it’s viable for me. In most cases, I’d happily take a pay cut from my typical salary to gain traction on more of them.

1 Like

I found a really awesome opportunity! I want to thank everyone who reached out.

3 Likes