Plotting Trouble and GR

Hello,
I have been struggling with the base Plots package and have been getting the following error every time I try to plot
/home/ivan/.julia/artifacts/7f59a0ec3d19c98dce30a3ba8ea9cbd8824ce4a6/bin/gksqt: /usr/bin/…/lib/julia/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_4’ not found (required by /usr/lib/libproxy/libpxbackend-1.0.so)
connect: Connection refused
GKS: can’t connGKS: Open failed in routine OPEN_WS
GKS: GKS not in proper state. GKS must be either in the state WSOP or WSAC in routine ACTIVATE_WS
GKS: GKS not in proper state. GKS must be either in the state WSAC or SGOP in routine POLYLINEect to GKS socket application
GKS: Open failed in routine OPEN_WS
GKS: GKS not in proper state. GKS must be either in the state WSOP or WSAC in routine ACTIVATE_WS
GKS: GKS not in proper state. GKS must be either in the state WSAC or SGOP in routine POLYLINE
… (repeats)

After some googling and some playing around, I found the same problem arose when I tried using the GR package and doing a simple histogram(randn(1000)). I have tried rebuilding the package to no avail, and other suggestions such as updating and installing other packages does nothing. Any tips for how to proceed?

Are you able to say how you installed julia on your system? Following this advice:

are you able to post the latter outputs?

Yes so the versioninfo is
Julia Version 1.9.3
Commit bed2cd540a1 (2023-08-24 14:43 UTC)
Build Info:
Official https://julialang.org/ release
Platform Info:
CPU: 16 × 13th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-1340P
WORD_SIZE: 64
LIBM: libopenlibm
LLVM: libLLVM-14.0.6 (ORCJIT, goldmont)
Threads: 1 on 16 virtual cores

and the package info i recently updated and for GR it is
Status ~/.julia/environments/v1.9/Manifest.toml
[28b8d3ca] GR v0.72.10

Ok. This seems related to this issue: Arch Linux: bundled runtime fails with `CURL_OPENSSL_4' not found/can't connect to GKS socket · Issue #528 · jheinen/GR.jl · GitHub

Do you need to use GR as the backend for Plots? If not, you can try a different one: Backends · Plots

Ok this helps! I will most likely be using a different backend for now in that case.

1 Like