Notebook cells hung up in VS Code

The versions look good to me, one is the extension version, the other one the Julia version. If you never edited a startup.jl, then you won’t have one. And I assume you just installed Julia normally from the main webpage for Mac?

Yep, just a normal installation as far as I know. Should I try uninstalling and reinstalling something? If so, should that be VS Code or Julia?

I am also having the exact same issue. It is not working with insider vscode + julia language insider extension as well

Are you on macOS, too?

I just tagged a new extension version with more diagnostic output. We’ll figure this out eventually :slight_smile: Will again take a few days to make it into the release channel.

It would be great if you could actually uninstall the Julia VS Code extension and instead install the Julia Insider extension from the marketplace instead. We can push diagnostic builds out much more quickly there, so while we try to figure out what is going on here that would make things easier. The version of the extension that you want to try this with next is 1.6.13.

Ok, actually, it is version 1.6.14 now, I added more diagnostics. That version should be the Julia Insider extension in a few minutes.

Yes, macOS 12.3 with apple silicon.

I just got a crash report from the insider version of the extension that could explain this. Are both of you seeing this error only when you have not opened any folder in VS Code? I.e. you are just opening one individual notebook file, without having a workspace active? If that is the case, I just opened a PR that hopefully fixes that.

Wow, okay, I’ve just updated to v1.6.15 and the problem is fixed! Thank you so much for your help on this!

@davidanthoff Regarding your question about the workspace being active… I’m afraid I don’t know what that means? Is this an extra step I should be doing when I start VS Code?

Hurray! Thanks for trying out so many versions :slight_smile:

What I meant is simply whether you had a folder opened in VS Code, or whether you just opened an individual file. The latter scenario had the bug.

1 Like

I’m afraid I stepped away from Julia for a few months, returned this week, upgraded to v1.8.2, and now the problem is back.

This notebook cell in VS Code has been hung up on 5+5 for about 20 minutes now, with the Go To wheel spinning the whole time. I’m not sure how to stop it. I’ve tried Ctrl+C. I’ve also tried the Interrupt button and the Stop button, to no avail.

Related: What’s the intended distinction between Interrupt and Stop?

@chadagreene, can you open the Julia Notebook Kernels output panel and copy-paste the content here? You can reach that by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U (on Windows) and then look in the dropdown for the correct output channel.

I think in theory the “Stop” command should terminate the Julia process that is backing the current notebook, but in practice that seems broken right now. “Interrupt” should just try to interrupt the execution without terminating the process, but I’m not sure we ever actually implemented that…

I believe the “interrupt” functionality has never really worked for anything (Juno/LightTable, Juno/Atom, IJulia, Pluto, VSCode) on Windows due to some basic constraints on how Windows handles interrupt signals.

@davidanthoff I’m afraid nothing ever shows up in the Julia Notebook Kernels output panel, because the Go To wheel just keeps spinning and I don’t think it ever finishes evaluating 5+5.

Hm, that is very weird. The output panel should not show the results of the cell execution, it should show diagnostic information about starting up the kernel, establishing the connection to it etc. I’m a bit lost why it might not show anything… Are you sure you are looking in the right place? This is not part of the notebook UI, it is this:

Alrighty, here’s the output:

Pre 'await serverListeningPromise.wait()'
Post 'await serverListeningPromise.wait()'
Post 'const pkgenvpath = await this.getAbsEnvPathForNotebook()'
Post 'const cwdPath = await this.getCwdPathForNotebook()'
Now strating the kernel process from the extension with '/Applications/Julia-1.8.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia', '--color=yes,--project=/Users/cgreene/.julia/environments/v1.8,--history-file=no'.
Successfully started the kernel process from the extension.
Pre 'await connectedPromise.wait()'

Hey, I was having the exact same problem as you, exact same jupyter kernal output you posted. What I did was installed the IJulia package, with prompted me to install a Python Conda version of Python and with it the Juypter package, and then it worked like normal. Hopefully it will work for you too, and in the future perhaps the vscode add on can prompt you to install this if it’s not already in your Julia version.

1 Like

Note that in doing so you are now bypassing the VSCode Julia extension and using an IJulia kernel, so it’s not really a solution to the problem. The point of the notebook support in the Julia extension is that you shouldn’t need to download or configure anything additionally, so if it’s not working out of the box that’s probably something @davidanthoff would be interested in.

1 Like

Ah you are totally right. When I first started using the notebooks I had downloaded IJulia before even trying the vscode extension so I didn’t realize the later wasn’t actually working. Then I’m not sure, I’d suggest downloading IJulia haha, but in terms of the extension you can chalk it up to not working for me either. I’m running macos Julia 1.8.2.

Apologies for the confusion!

Do we have an issue for the non-starting kernels? If not, @chadagreene could you open one? Thanks!