Can't access a live workspace for Julia when using integrated notebooks in VS Code

Well, the title kind of says it. According to the docs for Vs Code Julia support it should be possible to see the Julia workspace while using Notebooks.

I can’t get this to work and I see no way to do so. I am using the integrated VS Code support for notebooks, not Python Jupyter. I am using an IJulia kernel and not the kernel provided by the language server.

The Julia language server’s jupyter kernel constantly hung or crashed, so I stopped using it.

I changed my config for the internal VS Code jupyter notebook, so I will try to LS’s kernel again because I believe that is the only kernel that provides workspace support.

“Wish me luck…!”

1 Like

Great News!

1. Obviously, one must use the language server kernel for a live workspace on the notebook.
  2. It works.
  3. The settings changes I made in VS Code end the crashes and timeouts for the notebook in VS Code when using either external kernels (IJulia) or the language server kernel.

I am not sure which of these settings made things work, but one or more of them did it:

"jupyter.experiments.enabled": false,
"jupyter.jupyterInterruptTimeout": 50000,
"jupyter.jupyterLaunchTimeout": 20000,
"jupyter.jupyterServerType": "local",
"jupyter.useDefaultConfigForJupyter": false,

Hi lewis,

Even after I applied the settings you posted, I am still getting the following crashes. Could you think of other solutions?

info 21:39:48.592: Cancel pending cells
info 21:39:48.592: Interrupt kernel execution
info 21:39:48.592: Interrupting kernel: julia-1.7
info 21:39:48.592: Interrupting kernel with a shell message
warn 21:40:38.596: Error during interrupt: Error: Kernel interrupt failed. Jupyter server is hung. Please reload VS Code.

Are you on Julia for Mac M1/M2? At the end of the day, I had to go back to intel MacOS with Julia 1.7 and then the crashes and problems stopped.

Julia 1.8 just shipped with improved support for Apple Silicon. I am giving it a try today.

I am using Julia for Windows with an Intel CPU. I also raised this issue on Github for VS Code, and it looks like this problem is coming from the Julia kernel itself:

https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-jupyter/issues/10328

Yes, I’ve seen that issue and it’s not what I mentioned. You should report at the GitHub repository for the Julia VS Code extension. Good luck.

• Lewis
1 Like