No existing Julia version after installing on Windows and Juliaup won't install new versions

I’ve just installed Julia on Windows via the Microsoft Store, but I can’t seem to get it working properly. I can’t run the Julia REPL from cmd or the .exe, but I also can’t install any version of Julia by using juliaup.

Trying to run julia gives this error:
>julia
Error: The Julia launcher failed to figure out which juliaup channel to use.

Running juliaup status shows no channels. When trying to add a new one, I get this error:
>juliaup add 1.10.3
Error: Io error. Look inside err_kind for more details.

I have no idea what could be causing this and don’t know how to fix it. I checked a similar issue, but the folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps is correctly in PATH.

Welcome to the Julia discourse!

I dont have much of an idea, but based in this issue (Io error. Look inside err_kind for more details · Issue #18111 · nrwl/nx · GitHub), have you tried uninstalling juliaup and deleting any remaining files in the WindowsApp/juliaup folder?

Perhaps @davidanthoff knows more?

Yes, I have completely removed Julia multiple times, but the error still persists.

On Windows I only use the official installer. Simple, and no Stores or MS installing in hidden directories.

1 Like

Thanks, this works with no problems! Somehow I completely missed that I could simply download it without having to go through the Microsoft Store.

Hm, this is a new one…

@ares_2 can you try to delete ~/.julia/juliup and then see whether things work?

On Windows I only use the official installer.

Well, the store version is now the official installer, so we really need to try to hunt down and fix all bugs :slight_smile:

Deleting the folder does little. It changes the error to this:

>julia
Error: Failed to run `run_command_add` from the `run_command_initial_setup_from_launcher` command.

Caused by:
    Io error. Look inside err_kind for more details.

but afterwards the folder simply gets created again.

Hm, there is something seriously weird going on here… I’ll have to think a bit what we might be able to do as diagnostics… Could you open an issue about this over at GitHub - JuliaLang/juliaup: Julia installer and version multiplexer? Want to make sure this doesn’t get lost.

Sure! You can find the link to it here.

1 Like

I am getting this same error on my MacOS (v. 13.6.5)! I installed julia using the command
>curl -fsSL https://install.julialang.org | sh
When I typed julia in the command line, it didn’t recognize that command. I added an alias to the julialauncher executable. When I run the julia alias command, I get the error

Create the release channel : run (in a Terminal shell)

juliaup add release

1 Like