NASA Funding for Open Source Software

Sorry for the bad cut-and-paste from the NASA SMD listserv. Enough keyword are in the text, below, to allow you to find the original documents online.
I wanted to make sure this community was aware of opportunities for the support of open source tools from NASA. I use Julia extensively in my NASA-sponsored research projects. Please feel free to contact me if you are responding to this RFP, below, and need end-users or something like that who would vouch for the value of Julia to NASA-sponsored research.

ROSES-20 Amendment 59: Release of Final text of E.7 Open Source Tools, Libraries, and Frameworks

SMD seeks proposals for the improvement and sustainment of high-value, open source tools, frameworks, and libraries that have made significant impacts to the SMD science community. We are seeking proposals that satisfy the following objectives:

• Open source software tools, libraries, and frameworks that have significant usage in the NASA science community, developed following open and collaborative practices, and are aligned with the scientific and data strategic plans.
  • Proposals should look to improve the sustainability and utility of these packages through improvements to documentation or infrastructure, by adding extensions, and improving maintenance of the existing software.

This program seeks to support projects under active development and usage. It does not support updating of legacy software that is no longer supported, which can be supported under other calls. We are not soliciting the development of new open source tools, frameworks, or libraries with this call.

ROSES-2020 Amendment 59 Releases Final text of E.7 Open Source Tools, Libraries, and Frameworks. Notices of Intent to propose are requested by November 19, 2020 and Proposals are due January 19, 2021.

On or about October 19, 2020, this Amendment to the NASA Research Announcement “Research Opportunities in Space and Earth Sciences (ROSES) 2020” (NNH20ZDA001N) will be posted on the NASA research opportunity homepage at NSPIRES - Solicitations Summary and will appear on SARA’s ROSES blog at: ROSES-2020 Clarifications, corrections and amendments | Science Mission Directorate.

Questions concerning E.7 Open Source Tools, Libraries, and Frameworks may be directed to Steven Crawford, who may be reached at steven.m.crawford@nasa.gov.

16 Likes