NSF Software Initiative for Julia?

Could Julia benefit from being part of this NSF call for proposals on “Software Infrastructure for Sustained Innovation”? (It’s not a good match for myself, but perhaps some other university researchers who work with/on Julia would be interested in proposing something?)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Updated NSF funding opportunity & webinar: Software Infrastructure for Sustained Innovation (SSE, SSI, S2I2)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 23:59:08 +0000
Reply-To: dmsnews DMSNEWS@LISTSERV.NSF.GOV
To: DMSNEWS@LISTSERV.NSF.GOV DMSNEWS@LISTSERV.NSF.GOV

Dear Colleagues,

An updated NSF program solicitation (NSF 17-526) is now available:

Software Infrastructure for Sustained Innovation (SSE, SSI, S2I2)

Please see

Software Infrastructure for Sustained Innovation | NSF - National Science Foundation

for details.

A webinar (online seminar) that will provide an overview of the program and its updates is scheduled for:

December 13, 2016 at 3:00 pm EST

To participate in the webinar, please see the information on the page

Software Infrastructure for Sustained Innovations (SI2) Program Webinar | NSF - National Science Foundation

Proposal submission deadline dates:

– March 7, 2017 for SSE proposals
– April 11, 2017 for S2I2 Conceptualization proposals
– September 19, 2017 for SSI proposals

From the program synopsis:

The SI2 program focuses on supporting robust, reliable, and sustainable software that will support and advance sustained scientific innovation and discovery. […] The Division of Mathematical Sciences (DMS) welcomes proposals building computational tools that have broad application in mathematical sciences and related areas.

I’m only a grad student so I don’t know if I could participate in any funding thing. However, if you want involvement of JuliaDiffEq, I’d be interested.

I think the blog post I wrote today really shows how Julia allows for basic packages to be a much stronger Base than other libraries. I think a really compelling proposal can be written about bringing the modular development of the different orgs together.

2 Likes