Multi language help/documentation

Hello

We are working on a not yet published package and producing the documentation as we go. All this is done in English given that is the most understood language in the IT world. However, there is a requirement for a French version for the methods and structures.

My question: is it possible to “toggle” help in REPL to switch to a different language when requesting help? Or does anybody have a good idea as to how this facility can be provided? Of course we can put both language in the text but that becomes a bit heavy. Imagine managing more that 2 languages.
I was thinking about some macros but I am not yet very familiar with that.

For Documenter.jl, we can easily produce two different set of documentation in two seperate directories (say docs_en and docs_fr) and change the directory name when processing one or the other language. However, the triple ticks verbatim in the code will stay in English or contain all languages. Not good! :grimacing:

Thanks for your help?

2 Likes

See Translated and Other Version Docs · Issue #297 · JuliaDocs/Documenter.jl · GitHub and Any Plans to support i18n? · Issue #658 · JuliaDocs/Documenter.jl · GitHub and [ JULEP ] Add Internationalization (i18n) and localization (l10n) support. (WIP) · Issue #43098 · JuliaLang/julia · GitHub … unfortunately there doesn’t seem to have been much work on this beyond an experimental package Localize.jl marked “don’t use this”?

@stevengj do you know of any method of capturing the help output in REPL? If I could take this into a string of character, then maybe I can build an alternate help function that will drop everything not identified as the correct language that the user has defined.

Thanks