Makie GL minimum graphics requirements

I have Makie running on my desktop PC (its great) but cant get it working on my laptop. What are the minimum graphics card requirements for OPENGL in Makie?
When I check my card using Open GL Extensions Viewer I get the following report:

I have also tried manually building GFLW from source: https://www.glfw.org/ to site
and I can compile using cmake and mingw g++ to run the (very basic) test script here Documentation | GLFW
So what are the minimum requirements?
When i run “] test GLFW” I get the error

[1a1011a3] SharedArrays  [`@stdlib/SharedArrays`]
  [6462fe0b] Sockets  [`@stdlib/Sockets`]
  [2f01184e] SparseArrays  [`@stdlib/SparseArrays`]
  [10745b16] Statistics  [`@stdlib/Statistics`]
  [8dfed614] Test  [`@stdlib/Test`]
  [cf7118a7] UUIDs  [`@stdlib/UUIDs`]
  [4ec0a83e] Unicode  [`@stdlib/Unicode`]
ERROR: LoadError: LoadError: GLFWError (API_UNAVAILABLE): WGL: The driver does not appear to support OpenGL
Stacktrace:
 [1] _ErrorCallbackWrapper(::Int32, ::Cstring) at C:\Users\Berlin\.julia\packages\GLFW\69NQ7\src\callback.jl:43
 [2] CreateWindow(::Int64, ::Int64, ::String, ::GLFW.Monitor, ::GLFW.Window) at C:\Users\Berlin\.julia\packages\GLFW\69NQ7\src\glfw3.jl:487 (repeats 3 times)
 [3] top-level scope at none:0
 [4] include at .\boot.jl:326 [inlined]
 [5] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1038
 [6] include(::Module, ::String) at .\sysimg.jl:29
 [7] include(::String) at .\client.jl:403
 [8] top-level scope at C:\Users\Berlin\.julia\packages\GLFW\69NQ7\test\runtests.jl:11
 [9] include at .\boot.jl:326 [inlined]
 [10] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1038
 [11] include(::Module, ::String) at .\sysimg.jl:29
 [12] include(::String) at .\client.jl:403
 [13] top-level scope at none:0
in expression starting at C:\Users\Berlin\.julia\packages\GLFW\69NQ7\test\windowclose.jl:3
in expression starting at C:\Users\Berlin\.julia\packages\GLFW\69NQ7\test\runtests.jl:10
ERROR: Package GLFW errored during testing

Cheers,
Tim

OpenGL 3.3 is needed… As you can see you’re at 3.1. But I think, at least on windows, 3.3 should be supported with the newest drivers for the HD3000.

Thanks, it looks like the card only supports OpenGL 3.3 on linux, not Windows: Force OpenGL3.3 on Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Windows) - Tutorials - Citra Community

I’m 90% sure, that someone had Makie running on windows with a HD3000…
Did you install the latest drivers from intel directly?

I installed the 64 bit windows 7/8 exe here: Support for Intel® Graphics
I also double checked using the Intel Driver & Support Assistant on the website and it said the drivers I have installed are up to date.

Damn! well, the good news is, that the webgl backend is finally in sight, which should also work on computers with bad gpu support ( i hope)…maybe you can already check if your browser supports webgl and let me know :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, WebGL it works perfectly well according to: https://get.webgl.org/

For the moment I will stick to my Desktop computer then.

1 Like