Make JuliaMono a bit smaller in discourse

It is still looking odd for me on dark mode, vanilla Chrome on a vanilla Ubuntu:

1 Like

Same for me, even in a different browser:

The source also still infers 1em for the inline code block :confused:

1 Like

That doesn’t look like 1em to me in that screenshot. While 1em still appears in the stylesheet for inline code, it should be overridden by a more specific and !important property setting it back to var(--base-font-size). It does look like the larger x-height and maybe the hinting thing.

I’m stumped on the hinting problem since I’m neither a font nor CSS person and it doesn’t reproduce on my screen… so I’ll need help to figure out a workaround.

I also still get 1em for code elements:

Pretty sure it’s not a caching thing, unless Discourse itself caches stuff on its end.

Ok another :man_facepalming:: I wasn’t doing the CSS selector correctly and confused myself since the toplines of EE happened to be lining up perfectly on my screen before. Now the topline of the code font is slightly smaller, but the x-heights match better… which is probably the better tradeoff.

Not exactly my forte here… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks. Works for me now :slight_smile:

You’re doing a good job, Matt!

For comparison, here’s the Python documentation:

Courier is timeless! :slight_smile:

I think Apple do very well - they have matching mono and proportional fonts (and a few billion dollars to spare from which to fund their Typography Division):

although I wonder whether there’s quite enough contrast…

Mathematica - among the best documentation around - has a few different techniques: sometimes just a change of colour, sometimes a different (not necessarily monospaced) font (and again, a full-time documentation team):

I think the Julia manual (v1.7) looks pretty good now:

although the dark-mode isn’t as pleasant, with all those colours…

These are all as viewed on a high-resolution Mac screen, of course - there’s a lot of variability in how fonts are rendered, and I doubt you’ll be able to please everyone, whatever you do.

5 Likes

Looks a lot better now, thanks for keeping at this!

2 Likes

Thanks Matt, it works much better now.

What sans serif font would you suggest to go with JuliaMono? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to revive this again, but the code block font is still much bigger than inline code. Inline code is now perfect, but code blocks font is still too large. See the screenshoot below, the first line is inside a code block surrounded by three back-tics and the second is an inline code enclosed in two single back-tics.

That’s intentional. Whether it’s a good idea or not is a different question, but I did try having it match and thought it made code blocks too tiny. I believe a desire for larger text in code blocks is why we had the size discrepancy for all code in the first place.

Opinions will vary. If lots find the two sizes funny I’m game to try it. It may just have been the change from the familiar that caught me off guard. :person_shrugging:

Thanks Matt for the reply, I greatly appreciate your effort. Of course if this is what the community like, I’m on board. May be I’m a bit picky when it comes to fonts and consistency. Any way, I’m happy to be a member of such a great community around Julia and thanks to everyone here.

1 Like