Looking for advice on a guide I'm writing

Hello! So what’s up is that I am writing an overview of the REPL aimed at people who have never seen a command line before and would like to know what everyone thinks should be essential knowledge. I plan on covering modes, common commands such as those for scrolling through the history, how backspace and delete work, along with tab completion and customizing the REPL.

4 Likes

Paging the REPL master @miguelraz and the REPL artist @Ronis_BR ! :smile:

Also, welcome to the community @Steven_Kell ! The two folks I pinged are experts with the Julia REPL and have a ton of resources they have created.

5 Likes

Thank you. I’ve been following Julia for years but finally decided to get serious about learning it recently after getting introduced to Logan thanks to PyData.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! I presented last year at PyData Global on Javis.jl.

Also, here is a great video to look at for REPL Mastery.

4 Likes

I feel like knowing about TerminalPager is a good thing.

5 Likes

@Steven_Kell I’m so glad you asked this question because it was precisely that question which led me to make a 3 hour YouTube workshop for JuliaCon 2021 on Julia REPL Mastery (which Jacob already kindly mentioned).

I think I go over all those things you asked for and more.

I definitely need to find time to chop up all the lil’ nuggets into bite size 30 second videos, but that’s what the new year is for I guess.

4 Likes