(Human) Languages on the homepage

About the homepage, I don’t have any good suggestions other than removing the translations, no. It feels like such a huge effort to maintain a complete set of translations that I don’t see how that is workable without severely hampering the ease of change for the reference English version. Outdated information is a big no for me. The only reasonable alternative is what exists now, and I prefer no translation to the current state (but I understand how reasonable people can disagree with that)

I think the suggestion of @DNF over at Is there any manual translated into another language? seems like the best way to go: make high quality tutorials and resources in different languages. If the tutorials are complete enough, there is usually no need to refer to the manual for simple tasks. This is the way programming languages usually get taught in France (although I usually advise students to just learn English, which is certainly more important for them than learning julia or any other “niche” programming languages) The fact that julia is not fully mature is an obstacle, but 1.0 should help with that.

3 Likes