Juliaup modifications to .zshrc

I recently bought a new MacBook. A few weeks ago I installed juliaup. I noticed that MacOS now uses z-shell as the default shell, so today I made the mistake of taking my old .bash_profile and doing this:

mv .bash_profile .zshrc

However, it looks like I blew away some path configuration that juliaup made, since I can no longer run julia or juliaup. Can anyone provide me with the path configuration settings that juliaup adds to .zshrc on MacOS? (Anyone using a recent version of MacOS and juliaup can probaby just look in their .zshrc file.)

I checked my .zshrc file and it makes no mention to julia or juliaup. So I am assuming the juliaup installer just creates a symlink on one of the system bin folders.

Huh, that’s odd. Then I wonder why I can no longer run the julia or juliaup commands…

Ok, I went into the .juliaup/bin directory and ran

./juliaup self uninstall

Then I reinstalled juliaup and it did make a modification to my .zshrc file. Here is the modification it made:

# >>> juliaup initialize >>>

# !! Contents within this block are managed by juliaup !!

path=('/Users/cameron/.juliaup/bin' $path)
export PATH

# <<< juliaup initialize <<<
1 Like

@CameronBieganek could you open an issue that we should have a better solution for your scenario? I think tools like cargo etc have commands to redo these shell script modifications without the full uninstall/install cycle.