Juliaup appears to have corrupted julia language server information for vscode

I have been using vscode successfully with Julia on linux for years.

OS Version

Julia Version 1.8.2
Commit 36034abf260 (2022-09-29 15:21 UTC)
Platform Info:
CPU: 128 × AMD EPYC 7702P 64-Core Processor
WORD_SIZE: 64
LIBM: libopenlibm
LLVM: libLLVM-13.0.1 (ORCJIT, znver2)
Threads: 64 on 128 virtual cores
Environment:
JULIA_NUM_THREADS = 64

Today I ran juliaup to update to 1.8.2 and now the julia language server won’t start the repl from inside vscode (ctrl-shift-p Julia:start REPL). It opens the terminal pane for a few seconds then closes it without starting the REPL.

I assume this is because juliaup and the julia extension for vscode are not interacting well together. I uninstalled and reinstalled the julia language extension which didn’t fix the problem then uninstalled vscode and reinstalled it and the language extension which still didn’t fix the problem. There must be some cached state somewhere which is not being deleted.

I also tried manually entering the path to the julia executable. The only julia executable I can find is in the .julia/juliaup/julia-1.8.2+0.x64/bin folder but if I use that path the same problem occurs.

Anyone had this problem and figured out how to fix it?

Next to the terminal tab in VSCode there is also an output tab, where you can find logs from Julia, the language server, etc. Do you see anything there that might point to a problem?

Here is the output from a fresh start of vscode with a single attempt to start the julia REPL.

[2022-10-10 18:27:10.274] [renderer1] [critical] Extension 'github.vscode-pull-request-github' wants API proposal 'badges' but that proposal DOES NOT EXIST. Likely, the proposal has been finalized (check 'vscode.d.ts') or was abandoned.
[2022-10-10 18:27:10.274] [renderer1] [critical] Extension 'github.vscode-pull-request-github' wants API proposal 'contribViewSize' but that proposal DOES NOT EXIST. Likely, the proposal has been finalized (check 'vscode.d.ts') or was abandoned.
[2022-10-10 18:27:14.299] [renderer1] [info] [eamodio.gitlens]: Command `gitlens.copyAutolinkUrl` appears multiple times in the `commands` section.
[2022-10-10 18:27:17.109] [renderer1] [error] [Extension Host] (node:66240) DeprecationWarning: uuidv4() is deprecated. Use v4() from the uuid module instead.
(Use `code --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)

Running ctrl-shift-P Julia:start REPL doesn’t seem to cause any output.

i deleted .config/Code and .vscode and reinstalled julia and vscode from scratch. Now everything seems to work.