Interactive slider in VSCode

Hey!

So I know that one can make interactive sliders bound to for example a variable in the two notebooks Jupyter and Pluto. It is also possible in Juno according to the Interact.jl docs. But as VSCode is my favorite IDE at the moment, I was wondering: Is it currently possible to make an interactive slider in VSCode, and how does one do it? Or alternatively, are there any plans to make it?

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s possible, but I know there is a huge amount of work to have feature parity with vscode and atom (as the developers behind the atom extension are now working on the vscode extension).

There is no support for that at the moment.

I think we will eventually add support for something like that, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. The whole design is a fair bit more involved because we need to make sure it all works in the remote scenario. And at least for the medium term future we have so many other competing problem areas in the extension that we need to work on, that my best guess is this will take a while.

6 Likes

I’m looking at switching my organisation over to VScode - but we rely really heavily on Interact.jl interfaces for our models. We can use a separate electron instance for now, but it’s pretty nice running the interface right inside the editor :slight_smile:

@davidanthoff I wondering what the extra work would be with remote interfaces? - an Interact.jl interface works fine served remotely as a web page already. Maybe there is something I don’t understand about the remote setup compared to that.

2 Likes

The problem is that the current remote-editing setup doesn’t forward the port that WebIO uses for communication. So things would currently work ootb when Julia and VSCode are running on the same machine.

1 Like

Ok that makes sense.