Image in REPL does not correct

When running the ImageInTerminal package I get these images:

And when I start ImageView I receive the following alert:

using ImageView
Julia>using ImageView
[ Info: Precompiling ImageView [86fae568-95e7-573e-a6b2-d8a6b900c9ef]
┌ Warning: You are using Gtk on Windows which is currently not recommended. Your REPL/IDE and anything depending on task switches will become sluggish and much slower (up to ~85x slower).
└ @ Gtk C:\Users\hermesr\.julia\packages\Gtk\X7HfN\src\Gtk.jl:74
┌ Warning: You are using Gtk on Windows which is currently not recommended. Your REPL/IDE and anything depending on task switches will become sluggish and much slower (up to ~85x slower).
└ @ Gtk C:\Users\hermesr\.julia\packages\Gtk\X7HfN\src\Gtk.jl:74

How to solve this problem?

You can use ImageView/Gtk on Windows, just be aware that it will likely slow Julia down (even your typing at the command line will sometimes lag). There have been some bandaids proposed if you search for them.

If you use Julia nightly together with Windows terminal (the new one they have) I believe it should have pretty good color support.

1 Like

What should I do?
And is there another option?
Couldn’t it be some configuration inside windows?
How to install ImageView / Gtk?

Search this forum for “windows gtk”. You can just ignore the warning and use ImageView as normal, being aware that you’ll want to restart Julia (without using ImageView) for serious computation.

1 Like

I installed Gkt ,. how I should proceed. I still get the same result in the REPL !!!

When I use the Package:

using ImageView
imshow(img)

all right

but with :

using ImageInTerminal
img

I keep getting the same result that I showed above

The default windows terminal (cmd) and Julia 1.5 does not support more than the 16 system colors. As I said:

If you don’t want to use nightly, you can wait for julia 1.6.

Ok, but what should I do!
Install it apart from the current installation, to prevent the following alert that is read on the download site:
Nightly builds
These are bleeding-edge binaries of the latest version of Julia under development, which you can use to get a preview of the latest work. The nightly builds are for developer previews and **not intended for normal use. You can expect many packages not to work with this version. Most users are advised to use the latest official release version of Julia.

I wait for your instructions!

Install Windows Terminal installation | Microsoft Learn

Then install and try the nightly build. Yeah, it’s a nightly version and maybe some packages does not work but you can just try it and see if it fixes this issue. Otherwise, as I said you’ll have to wait for 1.6 to get proper color support (you still need Windows Terminal or some other terminal emulator like cmder).

Should I run Julia nightly from the cmder emulator terminal?

Windows Terminal + Julia 1.6:

Julia < 1.6 doesn’t work.

1 Like
Julia>versioninfo()
Julia Version 1.5.1
Commit 697e782ab8 (2020-08-25 20:08 UTC)
Platform Info:
  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-9.0.1 (ORCJIT, znver1)

See:

1 Like

julia> versioninfo()
Julia Version 1.6.0-DEV.888
Commit 0d7dc9621e (2020-09-10 16:09 UTC)
Platform Info:
  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-9.0.1 (ORCJIT, znver1)

Now I have the the P {C three versions of Windows terminal.
The one that comes with windows 10,
Windows Terminal Version: 1.2.2381.0 and
Windows Terminal Preview v1.3.2382.0
How to know which one Julia is using and configure Julia to use the latest version?
How to make the latest version of Windows Terminal the one used by the default system?