I'm learning Julia through developing a project, feel free to review!

Hi all,

Just wanted to put myself out there through advertising one of the projects I’m working on. I’m not sure if this is an appropriate place to promote this, if so feel free to remove this post.

In just a few months, I’ve managed to provide proof-of-concept implementations for Julia programming in a few hundred lines of code what my company deals with in thousands of code lines. So I’m pretty proud of this.

https://github.com/kapple19/OceanAcousticsModelling#oceanacousticsmodelling

It’s very, very, very minimal though, and I work on it in my spare time. I’ve just managed to figure out how to put plots in my README so hopefully a quick browse is a nice experience for you.

Please feel free to check it out, investigate my code, and give feedback!

I’m loving the Julia language, and learning it has been a fun adventure so far (filled with epiphanies, frustrations and patience).

Note: Just to be clear, while the replication I’ve managed does use much less code, there are Julia packages working in the background which I rely on, and the work I have so far is nowhere near the quality of what my colleagues at work have. They do amazing work, and I’m not a programmer and have been learning a lot from them. But what I have managed to replicate would’ve taken much, much longer (in development or performance) in the programming languages used in my workplace.

8 Likes

As an outsider I would say “Fantastic!”. But be carefull with your insiders.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I suppose the catch there is that DifferentialEquations.jl and other Julia packages do a lot of heavy lifting. “Standing on the shoulders of giants” so to speak.

1 Like

Very nice! And also very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like