How do you like Julia 1.7?

I’m using Julia 1.6 right now and am wondering if I should upgrade to Julia 1.7. Any advice is appreciated.

BTW, how do I upgrade to 1.7? If I have to delete my current Julia 1.6 folder before installing Julia 1.7, would I have to reinstall all the packages?

Do I need to do anything to my Jupiter and Juno Editors?

Thanks!

Your installed packages are separate from your Julia versions. There is the default @v1.6 environment, and the default @v1.7 env will be empty at first. So if you want to have the same packages in 1.7 you can just copy the project.toml and manifest.toml from the 1.6 to the 1.7 env. The environments are in the .julia folder.

For all external environments, it doesn’t matter that you switch Julia versions, you can just activate them and use them as before.

If you have multiple Julia versions installed, you probably need to change which path the julia alias points to, so external programs and the command line open the right Julia.

3 Likes

I’d recommend against copying the manifest file though, that’s very julia-version-specific

7 Likes

You shouldn’t delete anything. When you ask Pkg to add packages in the 1.7 environment, it can share things already downloaded if they happen to be compatible with the new version. I think.

I’ve been using and testing 1.7rc1 extensively since it came out, with no problems. It’s faster and has some nice enhancements, so I think you’ll be happy using it. And rc2 just came out.

1 Like

Many thanks! Glad to hear that Julia 1.7 is trouble free so far and to learn how the packages in Julia 1.7 will be installed.

Would you mind sharing the steps as to how to upgrade to 1.7? I have a Mac OS. so I will download the dmg file and install it into the Applications folder?

How to configure my Atom/Juno Editor and Juypter to point to the newer version?

I assume I can delete the Julia 1.6 folder safely after that? Thanks!

I use Linux, so somebody who uses macOS would be able to give you a more definitive answer. But you should be able to install 1.7 the same way you installed the previous versions. Don’t worry about having more than one version installed, because Julia keeps track of your environments and packages in the .julia directory in your home directory. You can delete the Juilia 1.6 folder, because that should just contain the julia binary, its standard library, and other things that will be replaced by the new dmg. And don’t worry about deleting the old packages, because Pkg will garbage collect unused files after 30 days, so you’ll get your disk space back.

Sorry, I can’t help with Atom/Juno.

1 Like

Installation of Julia 1.7 is complete.

I look forward to hearing how to configure my Atom/Juno Editor and Juypter.

For IJulia, just do ] build IJulia at the Repl.

For Juno, the path to Julia is in the settings. By default it is empty which means it just uses whatever is on your PATH for Julia, ie you’ll get the same thing you get if you just type julia into a terminal. You can either change what julia points to or put the full path to 1.7 into the Juno settings.

1 Like

As nishg said, and also look at the official instructions (Platform Specific Instructions for Official Binaries) for details on setting the path.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Juno throwing “Couldn’t resolve version error” with Julia 1.7

That sounds good. I will give it a try tonight. Do have any other tips for setting up Julia with sublime txt 4?
Also I hope VsCode ccathes up. It is great but the to many features that only work half way for me.