Directing Jupyter from IJulia to Homebrew installation of Julia

Hello!

I am trying to run a Jupyter notebook like so:

using IJulia; notebook(detached=true)

and find that my kernel for Julia 10 is not being recognized or located.

On my system running which Julia gives me /usr/local/bin/julia as installed by Homebrew.

Is there a way to let IJulia work out where to look for its Julia kernel?

IJulia gives me the following info and I note the line "_=/usr/local/bin/Julia" which is exactly where it would find it. But the _ seems odd. Any less much appreciated:

[ Info: running setenv(`/Users/jerome/.julia/conda/3/bin/jupyter notebook`,["XPC_FLAGS=0x0", "_CE_M=", "PATH=/Users/me/.julia/conda/3/bin:/usr/local/opt/bison/bin:/usr/local/opt/coreutils/libexec/gnubin:/usr/local/bin:/Users/jerome/anaconda3/condabin:/usr/local/bin:/System/Cryptexes/App/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/var/run/com.apple.security.cryptexd/codex.system/bootstrap/usr/local/bin:/var/run/com.apple.security.cryptexd/codex.system/bootstrap/usr/bin:/var/run/com.apple.security.cryptexd/codex.system/bootstrap/usr/appleinternal/bin:/Library/TeX/texbin", 
"PWD=/Users/me",
 "ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=NA", 
"XPC_SERVICE_NAME=0", 
"TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal", 
"SHELL=/bin/zsh",
 "__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0x0:0x2", "__CFBundleIdentifier=com.apple.Terminal", "TMPDIR=/var/folders/q1/3_91qxcx0rsfhbg514ndjq0r0000gn/T/", "CONDARC=/Users/me/.julia/conda/3/condarc-julia.yml", 
"LANG=en_GB.UTF-8", 
"LOGNAME=me", "SHLVL=1",
"CONDA_PREFIX=/Users/me/.julia/conda/3", "SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.JaNVjKyYwB/Listeners", "TERM_SESSION_ID=FE58F623-DEA7-4D31-8AD4-8E8AF486E745", "OLDPWD=/Users/me", "_=/usr/local/bin/julia", "OPENBLAS_DEFAULT_NUM_THREADS=1", 
"_CE_CONDA=", "USER=me",
 "TERM=xterm-256color", "HOME=/Users/me", "TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=452", "JULIA_NUM_THREADS=6", "OPENBLAS_MAIN_FREE=1", "PYTHONIOENCODING=UTF-8"])

Process(setenv(`/Users/me/.julia/conda/3/bin/jupyter notebook`,["XPC_FLAGS=0x0", "_CE_M=", 
"PATH=/Users/jerome/.julia/conda/3/bin:/usr/local/opt/bison/bin:/usr/local/opt/coreutils/libexec/gnubin:/usr/local/bin:/Users/me/anaconda3/condabin:/usr/local/bin:/System/Cryptexes/App/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/var/run/com.apple.security.cryptexd/codex.system/bootstrap/usr/local/bin:/var/run/com.apple.security.cryptexd/codex.system/bootstrap/usr/bin:/var/run/com.apple.security.cryptexd/codex.system/bootstrap/usr/appleinternal/bin:/Library/TeX/texbin", 
"PWD=/Users/me", 
"ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=NA", 
"XPC_SERVICE_NAME=0", 
"TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal", "SHELL=/bin/zsh", 
"__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0x0:0x2", "__CFBundleIdentifier=com.apple.Terminal"  …  "_=/usr/local/bin/julia", "OPENBLAS_DEFAULT_NUM_THREADS=1", "_CE_CONDA=", "USER=jerome", "TERM=xterm-256color", "HOME=/Users/jerome", "TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=452", "JULIA_NUM_THREADS=6", "OPENBLAS_MAIN_FREE=1", "PYTHONIOENCODING=UTF-8"]; dir="/Users/jerome"), ProcessRunning)

Thank you!

Thr Homebrew install of Julia is not well supported here. You might need to ask Homebrew. Let me see what I can find.

1 Like

Actually this did the trick: @mkitti

rebuilding