Benchmark for latest julia?

The fonts seems to lack anti-aliasing or something. A quick fix would be to export it 4x the size and then resize it down.

That’s an artifact of conversion to PNG, which is necessary for posting to Discourse. The orginal SVG is nice looking, that’s what’ll appear on the julialang website. Edit: @NickNack: same applies to the axis labels.

There’s a julia convention of using distinguishable_colors() from the Colors package for separate series, which is repeated in many places. It may be what was originally used. I’d suggest going with that for consistency.
If you dislike it, there are also some good distinctive schemes in Colorbrewer.jl, e.g. Dark2 might suit your taste. I am personally no big fan of the rainbow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great Work!

@John_Gibson,
For Python, why don’t you use Anaconda to have Intel MKL for BLAS out of the box?

Moreover, I think all (Most?) languages are moving target.
So one should write the specific versions used (BLAS version as well) and compilers.

Lua is amazingly fast.
Can we make Mike Pall interested in Julia :-)?

1 Like

I saw the changes got merged. Thanks for your work!

2 Likes

Mike Pall has written fairly extensively about how he makes LuaJIT so fast. It’s brilliant work but not really applicable to Julia at all.

Really interesting,
Nothing is shared between those 2 approaches?

I have little knowledge about any of them.
But very excited to see what talented people do, on both projects.

Well, maybe one day he will contribute to Julia without any relation.

For colors, I suggest using color brewer or something similar to make sure they’re accessible (they’re optimized for people with various forms of color blindness by varying both hue and brightness). Eg, here’s a divergent color palette with 8 variables.

Great work on this btw!

EDIT - oops @mkborregaard beat me to it

3 Likes

@kevbonham, @mkborregaard: thanks. In absence of a widely agreed preference I reverted to the Plots.jl default color scheme. But I do really like that dark qualitative scheme from Color Brewer. I’ll give it a try on the next round of benchmark updates. BTW, the updated benchmarks to julia-0.6.0 have gone live on www.julialang.org, and further discussion of improvements is taking place as issues and pull requests to that github repository.

Awesome work @John_Gibson . Nice crossover to use the Plots.jl default color scheme in Gadfly :slight_smile:
@kevbonham I love it that we even suggested the same palette :open_mouth:

1 Like

I love it that we even suggested the same palette :open_mouth:

Because it’s the best, objectively :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Kudos to John Gibson! Very well done indeed.

1 Like

Thanks, Petr. Honestly, I am thrilled to have an opportunity to contribute to Julia. It is such a fantastic project!

1 Like

Indeed!

What do you think of changing the plot type to something like a bar plot where bars are grouped by task? Right now it is difficult to compare Julia with other languages on a specific task.

The idea is to put tasks on the x axis, performance on the y axis, and bars for each language.

EDIT: Maybe keep the two plots the one presented and the one suggested. They give two useful views.

1 Like

Yes, I think your efforts deserve some kind of award… Benchmarker of the Year, or something…?

And the raw scores provide plenty of opportunity for those of us who like playing with graphs…

Edit: This was just a PoC and can be found somewhere in the docs for Luxor. I think the area indicates the values but I can’t remember now… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Is the height or the area proportional to the value (should be the area IMHO)? Very pretty :slight_smile: Luxor?

@cormullion wow. how did you create this graph

Lua is one of my favorite languages (after Julia, of course! :wink: ), it pops up in all sorts of places, like the ComputerCraft mod my kids used on MineCraft, for implementing user functions in Aerospike (which we use with Julia), and with the wonderful Codea app for learning to program on the iPad.
Nice to see the work you’ve done with SciLua!

The parse_int one has never really tested parsing.
The big overhead is the random number generation.
This particular “benchmark” should be removed, and one that really tests parsing numbers put in it’s place.