Being in julia and killing julia in package manager (]) stops not all subprocesses resulting in problems later

As long as outline (vector) fonts are used - which are the default right now - the measured padding would be the same across all devices.

Perfect. I’ve made a PR here:

@DKad, could you check the PR out (]add Plots#as/more_withenv) and see if the orphan process still appears?

@asinghvi17 I’ve added Plots#as/more_withenv, removed ENV[“GKSwstype”] = “100” in my startup.jl. Now the orphan process doesn’t appear.

@asinghvi17 I have a problem now, I cannot plot anymore:
Simply
using Plots
plot(rand(10))
has no effect, and then plot!() also has no effect. Even setting ENV[“GKSwstype”] = “100” in my startup.jl has no influence. Also
using GR
plot(rand(10))
has no effect!

@asinghvi17 @jheinen I think the problem is not solved! With my system from yesterday I have similarly the problem that plot(random(10)) doesn’t work, if I have ENV[“GKSwstype”] = “100” in my startup.jl. I removed this and then plot() generates a plot, of course with the problem of an orphan process.

You cannot set GKSwstype="100" in startup.jl.

The _update_min_padding code has to be encapsulated in a withenv block, as suggested by @asinghvi17, and then, GR has to be closed (using GR.emergencyclosegks()) and the GKSwstype environment has to be reset to what it was before (or “0”). The latter would be the default.

I’ll check this tomorrow …

@DKad: We were able to solve the problem in GR after all (see this commit). I assume that we will tag a new version next week.

Until then you should install to the latest run-time:

ENV["GRDIR"] = ""
] build GR

Thank you, I don’t have an orphan process anymore. The (old) problem that

using GR
plot(rand(10)); savefig("Random.pdf")

shows the plot and

using Plots
plot(rand(10)); savefig("Random.pdf")

not is not solved for my system. Of course this is not critical.

@jheinen: @asinghvi17: Hello, I just installed julia v. 1.4.2 out of the box with “julia-1.4.2-full.tar.gz” and with a new .julia local directory. I still have an orphane process

16931 pts/4 S 0:00 /home/ad08/.julia/packages/GR/cRdXQ/src/…/deps/gr/bin/gksqt

after running the simple code

using Plots
plot(rand(10)); savefig(“Random.pdf”)

Only after applying your hint (for v.1.4.1)

ENV["GRDIR"] = ""
] build GR

this problem disappears. Note: I did not
] add GR
so that
using GR
resulted into an error. I don’t know what happens with
]add GR, Plots
with a fresh install.

The gksqt fix has been made in the developer version for GR, which is installed by setting the GRDIR environment. So the behaviour is as expected.