Any reason holds Julia from having a proper Pochhammer function?

Overflow? Inaccuracy?

Nobody has needed it and so nobody has implemented it yet? This would be useful for the Combinatorics.jl package. Why don’t you try making a pull request?

I see. Thanks for the encouragement. But I’m just a beginner and dare not write any thing for Julia or any libraries for serious use. :sweat_smile:

It would be a pretty good introduction to how go about contributing, actually!

Good point. I’ll start to work on it though slowly and issue a pull request when ready. Irresistible to make my own contribution to Julia…

4 Likes

You can find an implementation in FastTransforms.jl:

https://github.com/MikaelSlevinsky/FastTransforms.jl/blob/master/src/specialfunctions.jl#L33

1 Like

Thanks! Is this something that we can add to Base? I think people would be reluctant to load a whole package just for using a (simple) function.

All the special functions in Base have been moved to SpecialFunctions.jl, so it could be moved there

1 Like

SpecialFunctions is not the right place for an integer only function, though of course you could extend it via the Gamma function.

It’s easy to add a fallback that calls lgamma (Need to use lgamma Instead of gamma to avoid overflow)