ANN: The JuliaPro distribution by Julia Computing

Yes, since “OhMyREPL” is not present it will generate an error. You could do a Pkg.add(“OhMyREPL”) from Juno console or from the menu, start a terminal which will give you julia REPL. You could run Pkg.add(“OhMyREPL”). Once this goes through you could put back your .juliarc.

That (= “Pkg.add(OhMyREPL)” etc) didn’t work, but I think that’s a package-specific error. I could add other packages.

Right, this is not a registered package. So, you will need to do a Pkg.clone(“path to repo”). This link should help.

Could you allow registration using github? That would fit in better with e.g. Juliabox, where I am already set up

5 Likes

You should now be able to login using your github a/c.

4 Likes

This is probably more important than I realized at first. Consider this case competition by KMD (large danish IT consultancy firm), Microsoft (…) and Danske Bank (one of the largest banks in Denmark): http://danskebank.dk/bac2017#t6 you’re expected (required?) to use Azure to solve the case, so that means that Julia(Pro) is presented as the third bullet on the list of tools you can use to solve the case. Cool stuff.

2 Likes

Tell that to the guy in my department who still runs Kubuntu 12.04 and refuses to upgrade any software on his distribution because “that always breaks everything!” :wink: although I suppose he’s the conservative type who will stick with Matlab anyway.

I think one more benefit of JuliaPro (that you’re undoubtedly aware of, but hasn’t been mentioned here yet) is also that it “standardises” what is installed, so I can make more assumptions about what is and isn’t available on a colleague’s machine. That advantage would also be true for Linux installations.

Dependencies should be handled smoothly by Pkg anyway.

Intra-julia, yes. But adding Atom/Jupyter etc. can lead to some configuration issues (headaches…).

1 Like

Have you considered adding the Cxx.jl in the future releases? I would like to use the Cxx.jl, but it is still somewhat laborious to install.

1 Like

We definitely plan to include Cxx in a future release. The main blocker is
that it does not quite work on Windows.

1 Like

Thank you for the powerful ammunition!

I’m not a software developer as such in my day job, and need to apply across seven time zones to run any file from out of house. That tends to limit experimentation.

My first-line selling point would actually be UTF variable names: We could have everybody’s favourite version of phi, theta and \mscrL, even subscripts! Functions just like we know them. Mulitple dispatch comes later, when those familiar scalars doubles as vectors. Outside of a web browser, that requires installation of fonts on Windows.

With Windows 10, font installation is now a simple drag and drop and the Deja Vu font works in the normal console with no registry hacking. At home, and it looks great. Not so on a corporate computer. Custom fonts are, it turns out, highly unpopular with the corporate gatekeepers (what an interesting job!). I wouldn’t want to write code that look nice in a browser and in Juno, but look like all squares in the REPL.

A single-click installation, In-bundle fonts for the console, an IDE, and Julia Computing to tell us these licences are safe and work just fine for biggish corporations. That’s a good start for selling this tool in-house. Have we already come so far?

Love the idea of JuliaPro - and delighted to see that there’s already a Linux version. I’ve always used the Anaconda Python distro because it makes setup infinitely quicker.

I have a question though. In the end-user licence agreement for the non-Enterprise version, there is the following statement:

“Julia Computing grants to you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use, copy and distribute the Software solely for any purpose but not for deployment and production purposes”

I’m quite sure commercial use of JuliaPro is permitted, but reading this, the statement that code deployment & production are prohibited appears to forbid commercial usage. Am I misunderstanding?

Thanks for all your amazing work.

I just started to learn Julia and installed JuliaPro.

It turned out that it is practical unusable for my
purposes. Why? I cannot install any of the packages
which are required for some simple math and documentation.

I cannot install:

TaylorSeries, 
Optim,  
Documenter,

The error message is in all cases:

unsatisfiable package requirements detected: 
 no feasible version could be found for package: 

A quite frustrating experience.

3 Likes

Turns out we forgot to update the license text to the latest one. We will be refreshing it for the 0.5.1.1 distribution. Thank you for noticing.

Any chance you create a Portable Windows version of Julia Pro?

Namely a version where all settings are saved to the local installation folder and no data is written to registry?

Thank You.

I believe it is already the case, isn’t it?

-viral

Actually, the installer rewrites paths in the precompiled packages. So at
the very least that script needs to be rerun.

-viral

I think when I installed it I saw some traces on AppData folders and the registry.

Are you sure Julia writes nothing to the user data folders on Windows?
How about registry and environment variables?

How about registry and environment variables?

We don’t create system level environment variables, but we do create registry keys. Registry entries are created based on the installation mode you select

• If you select “Current User” installation mode, registry keys will be created in following path
  • HKCU\SOFTWARE\JuliaProfessional
  • HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
  • If you select “All Users” mode (You need to start the installer with admin privileges to see this installation mode), registry keys will be created in following path
  • HKLM\SOFTWARE\JuliaProfessional
  • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

All aforementioned keys are deleted during uninstallation. If you don’t want any registration keys to be created, then you can select “Shared Drive” mode during installation.

Are you sure Julia writes nothing to the user data folders on Windows?

If you had selected “All Users” or “Shared Drive” mode of installation, then following folder will be created in your home directory.

C:\Users\User_name\JuliaPro_Juno_<JuliaPro_version_number>

Example:- v0.5.1.1 is the current JuliaPro version, so upon your first launch of IDE, following folder will be created in your home directory:

C:\Users\User_name\JuliaPro_Juno_0.5.1.1

“All Users” or “Shared Drive” are multi-user modes, the folder being created in your home directory (JuliaPro_Juno_0.5.1.1) would contain user specific IDE configurations, this was done so that multiple users accessing a centralized JuliaPro installation would have liberty to have their own IDE configurations. JuliaPro_Juno_0.5.1.1 is not created if you install JuliaPro in “Current User” mode.

Atom and Jupyter are embedded within JuliaPro, these software’s create their own configuration / Kernel folders in following locations:

• C:\Users\User-name\AppData\Roaming\jupyter
  • C:\Users\User-name\AppData\Roaming\Atom
  • C:\ProgramData\jupyter (This folder is created only if you install in “All Users" mode)