[ANN] Julia Special Issue in Advances in Engineering Software

The Julia special issue in the Advances in Engineering Software Journal (Elsevier) is now open for submission.

The timing is as follows:

Open submission portal 21-June-2018.
Submission deadline 15-October-2018.
Acceptance deadline 15-March-2019.

If you’d like to see samples of the publications in special issues, follow this link, and in particular the exascale computing special issue may be of interest.

The manuscript should be submitted through the regular portal. Please select the “VSI: JULIA2018” special issue from the drop-down list.

Please note that I will not serve as the editor (in order to avoid any suspicion of conflict of interest), but I will be asked by the editor to suggest referees for the manuscripts.

I did previously request letters of intent (also known as “very brief abstracts”) to gain a general idea of the layout of the special issue, but no one is prevented in any way from submitting a manuscript even if they did not previously expressed interest in doing so.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need any information concerning this special issue.

10 Likes

In the spirit of Open Source, perhaps it would be good to share what it would cost authors to publish with Open Access, and what the consequences of not paying will be?

3 Likes

Fredrik,

That is a very good point. The details are laid out here. Let me just say that the “Gold” open access will not be cheap. But, after an initial embargo, the “Green” open access is also possible.

However, in the spirit of the Julia language, there is nothing to prevent the authors from developing their special-issue contributions on Github! In that way, both the source text and the source code will be open access by default. (The author should not post the final typeset version of the manuscript as printed by the Journal, unless open access has been paid for.)

4 Likes

I like this. Write papers on Github, anyone with a merged PR can be a coauthor. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Interesting idea! If the PR is substantial, the author might consider co-authorship I am sure…

2 Likes

I’m planning on not only publishing the source for my article, but I will also make it available in a new research collaboration database format which I am creating in Julia. This was described earlier

This is going to be a LaTeX-based research tool that can be used from the Julia REPL to dynamically edit and generate reports, books, documents, lecture notes, etc. It is going to be the first research paper assembled using this new database format, based on a maintained collection of typeset “vertices.”

5 Likes

Special issue on Julia deadline: I am trying to get an extension of the deadline (which currently stands at October 15). I am mildly optimistic, but please don’t rely on it at the moment. Try to get it in by the deadline, there’s always the possibility of revising slightly during the review process as manuscripts get rarely accepted without change.

1 Like

What LaTeX package[s] do they prefer for small sections of code that appear within an article?

Can’t go wrong by following Guide for authors - Advances in Engineering Software - ISSN 0965-9978

My paper requires

\usepackage{stmaryrd}
\RequirePackage{luatex85}
\usetikzlibrary{graphs}
\usetikzlibrary{graphdrawing}
\usegdlibrary{layered}

because I have some tikz diagrams for AST in there, hopefully that won’t cause any issues…

The review is done on PDF, but after the review if nothing else works you could convert the figures to PDF from your source…

1 Like

They have no format requirement for the submission, only on the re-submissions. I quite like this policy!

So the few days of extension on the October 15 deadline is apparently not a problem (according to the editor-in-chief). Please don’t overdo it though.

3 Likes

Two worked for Dr. Seuss:

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish blue fish

1 Like