And now... Julia 0.6.2!

I go through the exact same train of thought every time.

4 Likes

Yes, I would suggest a more explicit “Announcement:” keyword in the title instead, but that is a minor detail. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A dumb question - I wonder the easiest way to “upgrade”? Shall I just install the new version with all packages I need and simply leave the old version?

1 Like

Unless you went with JuliaPro, which has a separate directory for storing your packages, everything will carry over from one minor version to the next. That is, all your Julia v0.6 packages will be stored in .julia/v0.6, and thus everything from 0.6.x will carry over to 0.6.y. But you would have a separate folder for v0.7, and thus you would probably have to reinstall packages when making that switch.

I never did try copy and pasting between folders (and then running Pkg.update() to hopefully fix requirement issues); not sure what the package meta data situation is like, etc. Perhaps someone knows more?

2 Likes

Thanks!!

Maybe this is something the developers may consider to either elaborate for certain shortcuts or something can be improved for a quicker and easier migration from the old version to the new.

Great! I wonder if, in the future, we could get a root directory name in the tarball that reflects the version instead of the git hash, at least for releases. Eg julia-v0.6.2 instead of julia-d386e40c17.

1 Like

Any chance for portable installers for Windows?

The Julia installer for Windows is already portable: you select the unpacking directory, set the PATH env variable and you are done.

We have been through this discussion:

Portable Applications follows:

1. All configuration saved in the program folder. It doesn’t pollute any other folder in system (Besides TEMP).
  2. No registry keys.
  3. No need for privileges.

When I say Julia I mean the installer of Julia Computing.
I might be wrong on the subject of this thread (I thought it means also version 0.6.2 of the installer).

Apologies, I thought you meant the standard distribution.

Any chance for an checksum along with the GPG on the downloads page? Would be helpful for the less GPG savvy, whom I am guessing may be a good part of Julia’s user base.

Checksums for this release are available in both MD5 and SHA256 format.

No! The discourse email subject lines are already epically long and often I can’t read them on my phone. Keep it compact, please.

7 Likes

My feeling on this is that dropping “ouncement” from “Announcement” to get “ANN” compromises clarity. As programmers, we like acronyms, but IMO, or AFAICT, the acronym ANN is ambiguous.

This is how it shows up in my mail client on my phone:

and in landscape:

and in the discourse header on the web:

I personally would be grateful for a reduction in redundancy. If we really want to bike-shed a thread title I’d suggest removing “ANN” rather than expanding it, given that it’s already in the announcements category. Related to this post where I showed some other examples where the subject lines aren’t super useful on mobile.

mods - perhaps these last couple messages could be split off as off-topic from the rest of the 0.6.2 thread.

4 Likes

Indeed, that’s planned. I’d like to use the full VERSION rather than just the Git SHA for all downloads, so for example recent 0.7 would be julia-v0.7.0-DEV.3089, this would be julia-v0.6.2, etc.

5 Likes

Indeed, this is already posted in the announcements category, so further specifying it as an announcement is probably not necessary.

4 Likes

I like the idea of removing it all together as well. The “Announcements” category should be enough. :+1:

If 0.7 is intended to be just transition version to 1.0 could be possible to rename .julia/v0.7 to .julia/v1.0 ?

Or new Pkg will help to make transition smooth by some recipe for “exporting” “importing” installed packages?

What is future plan for transition from 1.0 to 1.1 ?

14 posts were split to a new topic: Issues with using Mercurial instead of Git