An unexpected result using DataFrames.jl

Hi! Following JuliaAcademy, I had found something that results confusing.

using DataFrames, Random

function sim_e()
    draw = Float64[]
    while true
        push!(draw, rand())
        sum(draw) > 1.0 && return draw
    end
end 

Random.seed!(1234);
res = [sim_e() for _ in 1:5]

sum.(res)

@. sum(res) - last(res)

df = DataFrame()

@time for i in 1:10^7
    push!(df, (id=i, pos=sim_e()))
end

df

transform!(df, :pos => ByRow(length) => :jumps)

This code has to deliver the following, according to the tutorial:
However, I obtain this error message:

Which is nonsense considering that I have been using DataFrames.jl during the course.
Did I do something wrong?
Regards

Works for me - are you sure you’re on the latest version of DataFrames?

I am using DataFrames v0.20.2.

Can you run import Pkg; Pkg.update()? The latest version is v0.21.0. All those fun things are defined only for the newest version of DataFrames.

Don’t think that will work given the output of pkg> up above - something might be holding you back, try add DataFrames@0.21 to see what’s restricting the DataFrames version.

1 Like

good call. OP should probably start their own environment for the julia academy tutorial. but that’s a bit scary for a new comer. This is unfortunate.

If you use ODBC, that holds DataFrames back at v0.20.2 at the moment.

Hi! Thanks for your answer. Following your suggestion, this message appears:

Okay so you can do ]rm MLJ to remove MLJ (if you don’t need it now!) - MLJ currently restricts compatibility to DataFrames below 0.21 so won’t let you update.

OP, the way to really avoid this problem is to create a new folder and use julia to cd into it. Then run import Pkg; Pkg.activate(".").

After that, add all the packages you need to get through the JuliaAcademy course.

So something like this, which you only need to run once.

import Pkg
mkdir("JuliaAcademyCourse")
cd("JuliaAcademyCourse")
Pkg.activate(".")
Pkg.add("DataFrames")
# add other packages

Then if you close and re-open your julia terminal, you just need to do set Julia to the folder above and run import Pkg; Pkg.activate(".").

If this is too complicated, don’t worry about it. You can just focus on removing MLJ like the poster above mentioned and trying to update DataFrames again.

1 Like

Thanks for your support. The problem looks fixed. The downside is that now appears these messages that I encountered a bit difficult to understand by the time to using Statistics and GLM.

What does it mean?

These should all be fine as long as the code works. I couldn’t explain what all of them mean, though.

They shouldn’t worry you - and also they should go away once you restart Julia.

1 Like