Upgrading version of DataFrames (stuck at 0.21.8)

Hi, this must be a very silly thing, but I haven’t updated Julia in quite some time, and I can’t remember how to do it properly. Basically I just installed Julia 1.6.1, and then, since I would like to keep the same packages I used to have, I copied the Manifest.toml and Project.toml files to the new ~/.julia/environments/v1.6 directory.
First time I go into Julia, I get some errors, but I just to ] build ; ] update and upon restarting Julia all looks fine and no errors, but for some reason I get stuck at version 0.21.8 of DataFrames. What am I doing wrong?


angelv@sieladon:~$ julia
   _       _ _(_)_     |  Documentation: https://docs.julialang.org
  (_)     | (_) (_)    |
   _ _   _| |_  __ _   |  Type "?" for help, "]?" for Pkg help.
  | | | | | | |/ _` |  |
  | | |_| | | | (_| |  |  Version 1.6.1 (2021-04-23)
 _/ |\__'_|_|_|\__'_|  |  Official https://julialang.org/ release
|__/                   |

(@v1.6) pkg> up
    Updating registry at `~/.julia/registries/General`
  No Changes to `~/.julia/environments/v1.6/Project.toml`
  No Changes to `~/.julia/environments/v1.6/Manifest.toml`

(@v1.6) pkg> status DataFrames
      Status `~/.julia/environments/v1.6/Project.toml`
  [a93c6f00] DataFrames v0.21.8

Do ] add DataFrames@1.1

Thanks, but is there any reason why I have to specify the version, instead of by default getting the latest one? (Is this only for DataFrames for some reason?)

By the way, I cannot get that to work:

(@v1.6) pkg> add DataFrames@1.1
    Updating registry at `~/.julia/registries/General`
   Resolving package versions...
ERROR: Unsatisfiable requirements detected for package Compat [34da2185]:
 Compat [34da2185] log:
 ├─possible versions are: 1.0.0-3.30.0 or uninstalled
 ├─restricted by compatibility requirements with DataFrames [a93c6f00] to versions: 3.17.0-3.30.0
 │ └─DataFrames [a93c6f00] log:
 │   ├─possible versions are: 0.11.7-1.1.1 or uninstalled
 │   └─restricted to versions 1.1 by an explicit requirement, leaving only versions 1.1.0-1.1.1
 └─restricted by compatibility requirements with RomanNumerals [37834d88] to versions: 1.0.0-2.2.1 — no versions left
   └─RomanNumerals [37834d88] log:
     ├─possible versions are: 0.3.1 or uninstalled
     └─restricted to versions * by an explicit requirement, leaving only versions 0.3.1

Your second post answers your first - you have unsatisfiable requirements in your environment. Don’t just dump all your packages into the default environment, instead create a new environment for every project you work on with only the packages you actually need. This will minimize dependency conflicts.

If you do:

]activate --temp

]add DataFrames

you will get 1.1 installed in the temporary environment.


OK, thanks. I was doing it that way since it was the suggested way in some other post to migrate from a Julia version to another one, but it looks like it is perhaps not the best way to do it. So I just removed the whole environments/v1.6 directory, started all over, installing just the packages that are missing when I run my scripts, and all looks fine now.