Access denied when adding package

Hello everyone! I’ve been having some trouble adding and building the JuMP and Clp packages on my Julia (but I got IJulia to be added and installed). The problem comes when I do Pkg.add(“JuMP”) or Pkg.add(“Clp”). The error I get when doing JuMP is: Unable to automatically install ‘Bzip2’. I get an error higher up that says “Access is denied”. For Clp, I get: Unable to automatically install ‘Clp’ with the same “Access is denied” higher up in the terminal.

Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

What machine is this on? And how did you install Julia?

It is it a work or school computer for which you need permission to install other software?

What is the output of versioninfo()?

This is on my personal computer but I downloaded Julia for school purposes. Its a windows computer and I just installed 1.7.3 from the download website.

Output of versioninfo():
Julia Version 1.7.3
Commit 742b9abb4d (2022-05-06 12:58 UTC)
Platform Info:
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz
WORD_SIZE: 64
LIBM: libopenlibm
LLVM: libLLVM-12.0.1 (ORCJIT, skylake)

What is the full error message?

How did you install and start Julia? Did you install it as local admin and then try running it as your current user?

It looks like it’s trying to say things in the system temp folder, instead of under your user account in %localappdata%.

p.s., this isn’t related JuMP or Clp, so I’ve moved the question back to the General usage category

I believe I installed it as the current user (which should be the admin on the computer) and ran it as the current user. I just ran it as an admin and now I got a different error:

I don’t know why you don’t have access to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP. You can check the permissions by navigating to it in the file explorer, then right click properties and then “Security”.

Otherwise try re-installing Julia and make sure you install it under your local user account.

It seems to have full access already when I check the properties. I’ve tried re-installing Julia a couple times yesterday and had no luck. For the time being, I installed WSL and I’m running Julia on Ubuntu with relative ease.

Where you ever able to figure this out? I have the same similar problem.
When I try to add a package (on a work pc), something changes my permission to ‘access denied’ for the folder the Julia executable is in.