Why is it so hard to install packages in julia from China?

I just installed Julia, but its so difficult to use packages, I am about to freak out. always have errors of different kind. just wont work
can anyone help me a little,there is no one around me who use julia, i really exited about the language but its been so hard to handle these errors.
coundt simply install Plots, first its fail to update regerstry, then its request errors, am i alone here?
i am new to programming, please help, how should i solve these? i really want to continue.

It looks like Julia canā€™t connect to the package server. Are you sure you had internet connection when you did this operation? Are you perhaps behind a firewall which blocks all Julia traffic?

3 Likes

@hanchend Please do not give up! Everyone where is very friendly and we will help.

So a couple of questions:
You are running Julia as Administrator? Do you not have a personal account?
Do you know what the proxy setup is on your network?
Can you do operations such as command line git clones from github?

1 Like

On line 3:

ā€œFailed to connect to pkgā€¦ā€

it means your internet connection is either not stable / out of quota / very slow.

Another possible way perhaps the server is down for a moment.

Donā€™t give up, everyone here is very friendly and we are open to newbie, I ask a lot here, and get the answer that I need >95% of the time.

I just start using Julia this year actually on Juneā€¦ and my first topic here is asking how is Julia vs Trilinosā€¦ silly question now that I look back on itā€¦

Remember known knowledge is because people only learn sooner, no one is smarter, thatā€™s the words I always remember to stay humble and on the ground.

4 Likes

No one around me use Julia as wellā€¦ but it will not stop you I believeā€¦

You can watch JuliaCon and read books on Julia or online tutorial like this:

https://mth229.github.io/calculator.html

Depends on what you need, if you are student of Physics you might need another package related to Physics, with related tutorial.

1 Like

I am in China, its never occor to me that I shoule search for answers in chinese community, we have the wall, that prevent us from doing anything freely. thanks ,i soved some of the problem

2 Likes

thank you i am suprised that so many people are willing to help me ,i just discovered that its probably because i am in China, so there is connection issue which i should swith to a different server, solved some of the problem.

2 Likes

thanks ,i discovered that its probably because I am in china, so there is connection issue , because of the government? thanks a lot , i mean i am genuinely surprised to see so many people are helping me. thanks

1 Like

I recall @JohnnyChen94 fighting these issues. Perhaps he has other advice?

2 Likes

I have been to Chengdu, China to see Panda thereā€¦ I know they blocking social media from US when I went there canā€™t use google, etc. Maybe thatā€™s why. Some locals use VPN to trick the Chinaā€™ firewallā€¦ It is the countryā€™ regulationā€¦ blocking foreign information and perhaps even form server that containing Juliaā€™ pacakgesā€¦

well you know to be honest, been through a lot and I believe people are unique, some have their own imagination, some are practical, some just donā€™t care of anything, for example I read Isaac Newtonā€™ wikipedia and read that he is autist, but could create such a breakthroughā€¦ Donā€™t be discouraged, this discourse is really nice, I have been to another mailing list, this is one of the nicestā€¦ never get bad words hereā€¦ if you donā€™t know just ask, if someone call you stupid or mock you then it is mirroring to themselves. As I said, those know only learn sooner and comprehend soonerā€¦ not smarter.

Another example, Thomas Alfa Edison was mocked idiot by his teacher thus come home crying and do home schooling the result? General Electricā€¦
another one, a current billionaire who was bullied in his childhood thus bleeding and now the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX.

I believe in karma and spiritualityā€¦ well not for everyone, life is a journeyā€¦

It looks like the JuliaCN Discourse has a good reference for this: Julia PkgServer é•œåƒęœåŠ”åŠé•œåƒē«™ē“¢å¼• - åŗ“ēš„å®‰č£…åŠä½æē”Ø - Juliaäø­ę–‡ē¤¾åŒŗ

1 Like

Yes, the author needs to search in engine like bing in Chines. There are serval practical ways to solve this problem.Or may he need a book or read the blog of
Ꝏäøœé£Žēš„juliač®²ä¹‰

Welcome to Chengdu! Pandas are so cute!