Why a non Google friendly product name?

Nosferatu, it has all the elegance and beauty that encompasses the languagešŸ˜€

2 Likes

:joy: love it

As my handle is Nosferican, I approve of Nosferatuā€¦ I have been teased at work because I am always with Julia and someone asks and they tell them is my gf and then naā€™ the languageā€¦

Whenever I look for code explicitly, I always try to append the search with github This way you more or less only find repositories in your search

Yes to me that is also the most unfortunate side effect - all the way from my wife complaining that in yet another weekend Iā€™ve spent more time with Julia than with her, or colleagues asking me why I have a sticker with the name of my PhD student on my laptopā€¦

8 Likes

Not my problem, since my wife shares the name with this beautiful language. I wonā€™t forget that question mark on my advisorā€™s face, however, when I said ā€œI canā€™t build juliaā€ in answer to his question ā€œhowā€™s the project goingā€.

1 Like

Incidentally, where can one get stickers? Possibly in Europe, to avoid the whole shipping-customs hassle.

I got mine from pkofod. Otherwise apparently the approach is to email Viral and Jeff directly :open_mouth: Slack

1 Like

I asked a colleague from a different institution whoā€™d expressed interest in the language ā€œare you making any headway with Julia?ā€ and his jaw dropped, but then he stuttered ā€œeh, actually, yesā€. It turned out that a few days before heā€™d asked his girlfriend, named Julia, to marry him. It took like 5-10 full minutes before we realized the mistake.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a great name for a programming language.

2 Likes

Avik was kind enough to send some over to me from London.

1 Like

I still have quite a few, I could send you some @Tamas_Papp .

For what itā€™s worth, I like the name. As someone mentioned above, youā€™d get a lot of facebook and linkedin hits for Julia Langā€™s 2-3 years ago, but that is mostly gone now.

1 Like

I think the premise of the question is invalid: with the correct search terms, it is easy to make most of the returned results about Julia. Some quick exploration confirms this (relevant hits/total, totals vary because of search engine heuristics and offered images/videos I guess):

Google DuckDuckGo Bing
julia language 9/9 10/10 8/8
julia lang 6/7 7/10 7/10
fft jl 10/10 10/10 9/10

YMMV, but these are very good signal/noise ratios.

Next time please kindly take a minute to check before proposing such a major change.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone uses a programming language because it has a fancy name. When you have a baby, you choose its name, others donā€™t necessarily get to vote :wink:

5 Likes