Which distro do you recommend?

My computer is lagging on windows, mainly because I have too much data on it. So I’m thinking of cleaning it and then moving to Linux. Which distro has the best Julia support? Is fastest?
I have been using Fedora on the old laptop, however, it sometimes doesn’t have apps, I’d like. However, I like it because it is cutting edge.
Happy, to hear your opinion.

See old threads such as this one.

I would still recommend Pop OS as I did then.

3 Likes

bump for pop_os!

I originally got it because CUDA is built into the distribution and I’ve hosed Debian installs before because of Nvidia.

It’s been mainly pain free with pop_os! (I’ve had to revert to older version of the driver a couple of times because of the Quadro in my laptop being older).

On top of that, it is a solid user experience. I have it on 5 very different machines here, ranging from a fanless mini-itx, a Lenovo X220 touch screen laptop, a dual 20-core CPU Xeon, a desktop with 3 x 4k screens and the above HP Laptop.

3 Likes

I would say that they are all the same for working with Julia… pickup the one you like the most…

2 Likes

Which distro has the best Julia support? Is fastest? […] Fedora on the old laptop […] sometimes doesn’t have apps.

Clear Linux is considered the fastest in terms of computational speed, however, I cant comment if Julia is faster on it. If dealing with significant number of file IO operations Fedora with its native Btrfs might be a good choice. If looking for light distro and access to “apps” you may like CrunchBang Plus Plus. Pop OS would be my choice if looking for the most versatile, standard setup. On one VM I am running Oracle Linux as a base system and Docker with Debian and Awesome WM on Ramdisk which I am accessing over a remote desktop. Its super fast (Debian / Awesome on Ramdisk), however, its not ultra easy to setup and requires rather more RAM then usual (I’d consider it a non-standard setup - I am mentioning it as I like it a lot). Hope it helps.

manjaro