Linux users of Julia: Which distro do you use?

Since Ubuntu 20.10 was just released and Fedora 33 around the corner I am rethinking my setup (coincidentally there is a public holiday on Monday in Austria so I have time to mess around) Any recommendations / cool tipps tricks?

5 Likes

I use Manjaro Linux and I really like it. It’s a bit lower maintenance than something like Arch, but higher maintenance than something like Ubuntu. I like the rolling release set-up and access to the Arch repositories.

5 Likes

Everyone should try pop os

8 Likes

I’ve heard good things about manjaro but I’ve never tried a rolling release and am kinda scared. I know my way around Debian / Ubuntu and fear a steep learning curve for manjaro.

3 Likes

Well, the good news is that it’s only after a while that problems can arise with rolling releases, it’s quite rare to run into any issues right off the bat (and still pretty rare after a couple years), so the learning curve is actually extremely shallow, but there certainly is a curve.

2 Likes

I have used it before when they came out with their nvidia installer. It was very nice. How is their gnome implementation in terms of stability? On stock Ubuntu 20.10 it just crashed on me.

0 crashes on anything. I have only had a fatal problem that required re-installation once and it was totally my fault (screwed up moving partitions).

1 Like

Very cool! I will try that then.

That sounds good. I’ll give it a try. Any DEs you can recommend?

We need to get julia integrated with Tensorman in case that does not exist yet. That just looks amazing.

https://support.system76.com/articles/use-tensorman/

1 Like

I’m on Ubuntu-mate (20.04) I really like the ability to customize all the UI, and it’s pretty stable.

3 Likes

That’s what I have on my work laptop. And I rage-installed the mate desktop on my PC after gnome crashed on me during an already long day.

1 Like

Fedora 32 (KDE Plasma Spin). The spins released by Red Hat receive the same support as the flagship Fedora releases. I enjoy KDE Plasma due to its flexibility and I even spoofed a tiling manager using keybinds. Also offers some nice built-in software such as KDE Connect, Spectacle, Okular which “just works”. Have fun!

2 Likes

Cool! I didn’t know that about the spins. Any problems with upgrades on fedora?

I have used Julia on Fedora for about 4 years. The good thing about Fedora is that you can get the Latest Julia from the official repository. Also, Fedora is backed by Red Hat so you don’t need to worry about hardware driver issues. Most importantly, Linus himself uses Fedora.

The installation of Fedora is as easy as Windows. I have installed Fedora on 3 different machines and they all run very smoothly. If you go with other distributions, you may encounter hardware driver issues.

3 Likes

I did not know this. But I think his work is quite different from the typical julia user. :wink:

2 Likes

this is almost definitely anti-some-FOSS “philosophy”. Linus picked fedora because he wants something easy to use for most part but also sorta rolling so he can do the kernel development.

2 Likes

I use KDE Plasma with Manjaro and it’s fine, no complaints.

1 Like

Used to use Fedora, now I’m on Ubuntu 20. Both are great for Julia dev and deployment. I prefer CentOS for setting up little compute servers, but for personal use you can’t go wrong with either choice.

Haven’t tried Fedora 33 yet, but I bet its great. Also - it’s recommended to get your Julia downloads from JuliaLang and not package repositories. I know it’s a little easier to sudo apt-get install / sudo dnf install - but, you can run into issues doing this.

2 Likes

I can certainly speak to this! When I first started with Fedora, I started with Fedora 29. I kept Fedora 29 until about a month ago… Fedora 32 is almost EOL. :sweat_smile:

So, I had to install three new versions of the OS the other day when I started having compositor issues. Similarly, I was a bit scared of upgrading but remarkably, it was trivial. I had to uninstall a few pieces of software (I think Rust packages) since they were out of date while I was installing. After, I just reinstalled the new versions of that software.

I used Ubuntu from 12.04 to 16.04 and can positively say, Fedora’s upgrade process feels much much safer and not as scary! Lemme know if you have any more questions.

3 Likes