Where does the Atom editor (and others) store their Julia packages?

Finding stuff on Windows is a chore, and I have three different Julia installations. The basic REPL, the Jupyterlab installation, and Atom. Naturally, I’d like the same packages in all of them until I decide what to use permanently. And oh, I was thinking of VS Code, so that’s four locations. Can I just copy a package from one directory to another or is there more involved? Or are they all in one spot, and I just have to activate them with “using”?

The packages are stored in a depot. If this is left alone, then Julia run from anywhere, Atom, terminal, Jupyter, or VSCode, will store things there.

2 Likes

I just checked - Atom and Jupyterlab have more packages than the REPL. I think I just have too many Julias. Will I have to re-add everything if I try VS Code?

It depends how those programming tools handle environments: a separate environment may mean duplication of packages. It is usually at the cost of a minute or so and a few hundred megabytes. Acceptable to me, YMMV.

1 Like

I am just guessing, but maybe you run different 1.x versions of Julia in each of these tools? Every 1.x version of Julia has separate environment, so be careful with that.
Anyway, you can find where exactly is your environment located by typing status while in the the pkg-manager mode (type ] status), you will see something like this

(@v1.6) pkg> status
      Status `C:\path_to_my_environment\Project.toml`
  [c52e3926] Atom v0.12.32
  [717857b8] DSP v0.7.1
  [e5e0dc1b] Juno v0.8.4
  [91a5bcdd] Plots v1.16.5
  [08abe8d2] PrettyTables v1.1.0

I can’t speak for Jupyter, but if you want to change which version of Julia in Atom are you using, you can specify the Julia binary under Packages > Juno > Settings in the Julia Path box. On Windows and with user-only installation the path should be something like C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.6.2\bin\julia.exe. Juno uses this path to run Julia.