What's the JuliaWiki?

My searches for Julia-related information are returning results featuring the JuliaWiki.

www.juliawiki.com/wiki/

which says:

Welcome to the definitive resource for the Julia programming language. Whether you are a newcomer or an experienced developer, this wiki aims to provide you with comprehensive information, tutorials, and practical tips to make your Julia programming journey as smooth as possible.

I can’t see any names associated with it.

And there are many wonders to be found:

I’m guessing it’s some kind of experiment with ChatGPT. The primary contributor appears to be very productive too:

I’ve not looked at entries in detail, but I quickly found code like this:

Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 09.47.33

(which is, curiously, valid but useless code) along with completely made-up links to non-existent sources. I suppose my concern is the amount of inaccurate and unhelpful information that’s there and featuring strongly in search results.

I think some kind of Julia Wiki is a good idea. But I don’t think this is what it should be, though. There should be less wrong code on the internet.

8 Likes

“the prestigious Julia University in Digital City” :joy:

9 Likes

I did not know of that Wiki, only the (unofficial, or official there?) Wikibook:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Introducing_Julia

I try to maintain it, and mostly it seems to be another guy called “cormullion” you might be familiar with :slight_smile: Which is doing a good job. It doesn’t seem advised to have two competing, but you can’t control stuff on the internet… At least it should consider linking to the wikibook (and vice versa?):

I took a look at:

juliawiki.com/wiki/Web_Development#Morsel

It mentioned Genie (good) and only Morsel. There are some other major packages, and I think Morsel is old, and maybe not used much? And redundant with other (by now) better?

2 Likes

I’m not yet convinced that it should be linked to at all…

7 Likes

The juliafan is clearly a bot:
julia wiki .com/wiki/Special:RecentChanges?hidebots=1&limit=500&days=30&enhanced=1&urlversion=2

Strange site indeed

2 Likes

Could you not link to them directly? Notice how Cormullion took care to put the Web address into a code block. @Palli same.

3 Likes

JuliaWiki comes up right after the official docs sometimes, which is a bummer. Maybe we could reach out to its creator?

1 Like

The site prominently displays Julia’s logo, I think only lawyers should be reaching out here.

I wonder what came of this:

2 Likes

The wiki/Julia_Wiki:About page on that site has this as a contact: info@theresawikiforthat.com. A Web search for the domain name shows that they target other programming languages, like OCaml and Elixir, too:

6 Likes

As long as we’re complaining about disreputable sites which cast Julia in a bad light, I wanted to draw attention (but not clicks!) to juliasos . com.

It’s entirely LLM-generated garbage with glaring errors, and it frequently shows up in the first page of search results. Something needs to be done about these parasites.

Getting these sites to shut down is high-effort, but contacting Google and Bing about deboosting them out of existence would solve most of the problem they pose and is easier. That would need to come from some official channel.

3 Likes

Yeah, this seems to be an issue across the board; there are very similar “sos” sites for python, haskell and csharp. :disappointed:

4 Likes

I have a sneaking suspicion that any “wiki” gets a boost in search results.

1 Like

and these results will be fed into the training process for the next generation of LLMs. What could possibly go wrong? :joy:

6 Likes

AI dementia :laughing:

2 Likes

I suspected and noticed, it’s a copy of the concept, and even the full legal info:
https://www.pythonsos .com/legal/

1. Accuracy of Information: PythonSOS is an online platform dedicated to assisting Python developers

For Julia, it still mentions Python, only substituting to JuliaSOS. At first I was confused, to help Python users to migrate, or use together… ?!

At least there they spell syntax with a y.

I suppose the good thing is that Julia is getting popular, noticed.