What packages/libraries should a beginner start to read?

I am starting to learn about and play with Julia for scientific programming, and it seems like it has a number of interesting and powerful features. While the documentation on julialang.org is great and the few books out there are fine, I have found that it’s often faster to learn a language by reading good code, rather than solely through brute force coding. Many of the available packages are impressive, but their code bases are quite large and sophisticated - so much so that the prospect of really diving deep into one of them as a beginner is more than a bit intimidating.

I am thus looking for some recommendations: what Julia packages or libraries should I start reading to better understand idiomatic uses of the language, common structuring concepts, advantages of the language, and so forth within a concrete context? Packages that are reasonably small or focused tend to be easier to really grok than the big hairy ones.

Thanks!

3 Likes

There are many well-written packages out there, so I think the primary consideration would be to select something in your area of (relative) expertise. On what domains are you focused? Perhaps that can help narrow down the list so you can see how code that you know should work a certain way works.

2 Likes

Also, reading Base julia is a good learning experience. Also maybe something like Distributions.jl?