What is cause of "Unable to automatically install" _jll errors?

I’m getting a lot of ERROR: Unable to automatically install messages from add PkgTemplates

// think it’s from Artifacts.toml or some _jll binary downloader, but have no real clue whats going on

Can anyone say what’s happening?

edit: now it works. but it was failing at LAME for a while. Then at libvorbis, then it made it through the entire list of binaries

It might be Github outages, there was some reports on Slack about the same. Hopefully the PkgServer stuff will make this no longer an issue.

1 Like

As Eric said, I think this was an issue with GitHub, but for the future if you have problems with downloading artifacts check out https://github.com/giordano/DebugArtifacts.jl to have more verbose information about the failure.

2 Likes

Do you know if there’s a Github outage going on now? I keep getting an issue with libvorbis on Windows 10 and Julia version 1.7.1 trying to update my packages. I used DebugArtifacts.jl and all the output looks (to me) like it’s okay.

Error message from trying to update:

(@v1.7) pkg> update
    Updating registry at `C:\Users\username\.julia\registries\General`
    Updating git-repo `https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General.git`
  Downloaded artifact: libvorbis
  Downloaded artifact: libvorbis
ERROR: Unable to automatically install 'libvorbis' from 'C:\Users\username\.julia\packages\libvorbis_jll\F1e3O\Artifacts.toml'
Stacktrace:
  [1] error(s::String)
    @ Base .\error.jl:33
  [2] ensure_artifact_installed(name::String, meta::Dict{String, Any}, artifacts_toml::String; platform::Base.BinaryPlatforms.Platform, verbose::Bool, quiet_download::Bool, io::Base.TTY)
    @ Pkg.Artifacts C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\Pkg\src\Artifacts.jl:441
  [3] download_artifacts(env::Pkg.Types.EnvCache; platform::Base.BinaryPlatforms.Platform, julia_version::VersionNumber, verbose::Bool, io::Base.TTY)
    @ Pkg.Operations C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\Pkg\src\Operations.jl:617
  [4] up(ctx::Pkg.Types.Context, pkgs::Vector{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec}, level::Pkg.Types.UpgradeLevel; skip_writing_project::Bool)
    @ Pkg.Operations C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\Pkg\src\Operations.jl:1267
  [5] up(ctx::Pkg.Types.Context, pkgs::Vector{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec}; level::Pkg.Types.UpgradeLevel, mode::Pkg.Types.PackageMode, update_registry::Bool, skip_writing_project::Bool, kwargs::Base.Pairs{Symbol, Base.TTY, Tuple{Symbol}, NamedTuple{(:io,), Tuple{Base.TTY}}})
    @ Pkg.API C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\Pkg\src\API.jl:333
  [6] up(pkgs::Vector{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec}; io::Base.TTY, kwargs::Base.Pairs{Symbol, Union{}, Tuple{}, NamedTuple{(), Tuple{}}})
    @ Pkg.API C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\Pkg\src\API.jl:149
  [7] up(pkgs::Vector{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec})
    @ Pkg.API C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\Pkg\src\API.jl:144
  [8] do_cmd!(command::Pkg.REPLMode.Command, repl::REPL.LineEditREPL)
    @ Pkg.REPLMode C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\Pkg\src\REPLMode\REPLMode.jl:407
  [9] do_cmd(repl::REPL.LineEditREPL, input::String; do_rethrow::Bool)
    @ Pkg.REPLMode C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\Pkg\src\REPLMode\REPLMode.jl:385
 [10] do_cmd
    @ C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\Pkg\src\REPLMode\REPLMode.jl:376 [inlined]
 [11] (::Pkg.REPLMode.var"#24#27"{REPL.LineEditREPL, REPL.LineEdit.Prompt})(s::REPL.LineEdit.MIState, buf::IOBuffer, ok::Bool)
    @ Pkg.REPLMode C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\Pkg\src\REPLMode\REPLMode.jl:549
 [12] #invokelatest#2
    @ .\essentials.jl:716 [inlined]
 [13] invokelatest
    @ .\essentials.jl:714 [inlined]
 [14] run_interface(terminal::REPL.Terminals.TextTerminal, m::REPL.LineEdit.ModalInterface, s::REPL.LineEdit.MIState)
    @ REPL.LineEdit C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\REPL\src\LineEdit.jl:2493
 [15] run_frontend(repl::REPL.LineEditREPL, backend::REPL.REPLBackendRef)
    @ REPL C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.7.1\share\julia\stdlib\v1.7\REPL\src\REPL.jl:1230
 [16] (::REPL.var"#49#54"{REPL.LineEditREPL, REPL.REPLBackendRef})()
    @ REPL .\task.jl:423

DebugArtifacts.jl output below:

debug_artifact("libvorbis")

[ Info: Platform: Windows x86_64 {cxxstring_abi=cxx11, julia_version=1.7.1, libgfortran_version=5.0.0}
Julia Version 1.7.1
Commit ac5cc99908 (2021-12-22 19:35 UTC)       
Platform Info:
  CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8665U CPU @ 1.90GHz
  WORD_SIZE: 64    
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-12.0.1 (ORCJIT, skylake)
Environment:
  JULIA_EDITOR = code
  JULIA_NUM_THREADS = 

[ Info: Downloading Artifacts.toml to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\jl_27P2wY\Artifacts.toml...
[ Info: Extracting artifact info for platform x86_64-w64-mingw32-libgfortran5-cxx11-julia_version+1.7.1...
[ Info: Found meta object with git-tree-sha1 a934706fd183ead565854bf73513431fb834f7b2, attempting download...
[ Info: No hash cache found
[ Info: Calculated hash 194f058cd19df12bf7495b655a1c529a240245fdaf5261621f314ce56bcb5a1b for file C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\jl_tgLV8rTEYR-download.gz
[ Info: Unpacking C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\jl_tgLV8rTEYR-download.gz into C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\jl_27P2wY\unpacked...

Based on another post I also tried to rename my .julia folder and then relaunched Julia to recreate the .julia folder. I then tried to do a fresh install of some packages and both of Distributions.jl and GLM.jl gave me a similar error but for the Rmath artifact. Perhaps that means this is a wider/Github issue right now?

2 Likes

I’m having the exact same issue.

I went into the Artifacts.toml file that it mentions and found the link the file on GitHub that it’s trying to download.

url = "https://github.com/JuliaBinaryWrappers/libvorbis_jll.jl/releases/download/libvorbis-v1.3.7+1/libvorbis.v1.3.7.x86_64-w64-mingw32.tar.gz"

I just used my web browser to navigate to GitHub to see if I can download the file:
https://github.com/JuliaBinaryWrappers/libvorbis_jll.jl/releases
When I try to download the “libvorbis.v1.3.7.x86_64-w64-mingw32.tar.gz” file a message pops up from my IT team saying that access is blocked because it found a virus threat. I’m able to download any of the other files listed, such as “libvorbis.v1.3.7.x86_64-unknown-freebsd.tar.gz” but not the windows version I need. Could something similar be happening for you? This is still unresolved for me.

Try to turn off the windows defend if you are using windows os.