What are the famous companies or software that uses the Julia programming language?

Hi all!

Context

1. I like to program and I’m new to programming Julia, I’m curious to know which famous company or software uses Julia
  2. In some programming languages there is a link called showcase where it shows some applications made in a specific language or technology
  3. Where can I find information about this question?
1 Like

Case Study - Julia Computing has a lot of them.

11 Likes

I’ve maintained:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Introducing_Julia/Jobs

trying to confirm who use Julia, not just hiring Julia people or planning to use Julia.

ASML uses for sure, has over 40 Julia packages.

For sure Pumas.AI (and maybe not as famous as it should be and because of it, though not only): quoting @ChrisRackauckas “Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, Sanofi” (and more pharma related)

It’s frustratingly difficult to confirm some companies using Julia, since they might not talk much about it, such as Microsoft, that has a few packages, also IBM, and The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) (Decision Scientist). Why did Disney put Julia in such a job ad, and has sponsored JuliaCon if not using it in production?

Quantum computing is very specialized and for sure not the main thing at Amazon or Microsoft, but Amazon (i.e. @kslimes) has made Bracket.jl (still experimental), unclear they use for themselves.

Open now at Microsoft Quantum:
https://jobs.careers.microsoft.com/global/en/job/1629969/Senior-Quantum-Architect

• 4+ years of experience with Python, Julia, C/C++, or similar languages.

Microsoft has placed job ads for Julia people, i.e. mentioning Julia on a short list of languages, for quantum and non-quantum job ads before, plus the one above.

@logankilpatrick works at OpenAI, but like for other (gen) AI companies, I can’t confirm Julia is used, at least not much historically.

Job ad for an intern:

Airbus Defence and Space GmbH, München area, full time for supporting research activities in AI research and creating and contributing to Julia packages

• Merck, Pfizer, Genentech (and other pharma companies)
  • Bosch Research Center at Sunnyvale, California

It’s frustratingly difficult to confirm BlackRock, or such companies use Julia or anything, but BlackRock Engineering has made two Julia packages so I suppose they use them in production. Also I believe by now in their Aladdin platform, though I can’t confirm it.

Play Magnus (now part of chess.com)

may not be famous while Magnus Carlsen is was the word champion.

I thought FAA’s ACAS was only Julia, and I assume this is the same, at least related, and while the company name may not be famous, it’s very important software, with a Julia job opening:

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=7862a63cf18127ed

Solidus is searching for a Software Programmer to support the ACAS X (Airborne Collision Avoidance System) team with software build/release management and continuous integration/delivery.

[…] They are world experts in airborne collision avoidance systems for manned aircraft and are currently leading efforts to develop systems to support integration of Unmanned Aircraft Systems platforms into the U.S. National Airspace System.

A Day in the Life:

• Development and maintenance of C++ and Julia interface wrapper enabling input to and output from the ACAS X software […]

Requirements

• US Citizenship and the ability to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
  • Bachelor’s Degree plus minimum 3 years’ experience
  • Onsite 3 days/week

Required Experience

• DevOps processes, practices, and tools
  • C/C++ Programming
  • Mex Interface to C/C++
  • Scientific Programming i.e., Julia
  • […]
7 Likes

More generally Case Study - JuliaHub is a good but very incomplete list of significant companies using Julia.

1 Like

I would love to get Aviva back to JuliaCon for an update, that was such a cool talk and application and to think they did that with what, Julia 0.3 or something?

3 Likes