VS code is excellent!

RStudio also uses named pipes.

It’s a different OS-level mechanism than going through the network stack. Non-local pipes can be firewalled, but that’s off by default; and local ones can’t be firewalled by the OS from what I can tell.

An antivirus could filter named pipes with i/o hooking, but if they don’t provide a wide enough escape hatch then broken Julia is going to be the least of your problems (named pipes are used everywhere; e.g. Chrome uses them communicate with each tab process).

Just a short notice that the VSCode insiders has the possibility to have the terminal on the right side next to the editor. The stable release will come in about two weeks [1].

[1] https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/2806

On my Win10 laptop VS Code is also much more responsive than Atom. In addition it seems to use much less ressources. Atom sometimes has a number of instances running (even though I may only ‘see’ one or two of them) which use a lot of cpu power.

However, it Atom it was much clearer to me when ‘Julia was busy’.
In the screenshot below it says ‘Julia ready’ which is clearly not the case. I am not sure why…
I guess one can see whether the execution is done, by waiting for “>julia”.

I believe this “Julia ready” is referring to the parser and the linter for the text editing pane, not to the terminal pane.

I have used VS Code quite a bit and just ignore the Julia - starting up, or Julia - busy messages. They do not seem to affect the responsiveness in running or in just editing code. It feels lively in pretty much every way!

ok thank you both.

Yes, you are right. See Rename the text on the statusbar for the LS status · Issue #334 · julia-vscode/julia-vscode · GitHub.

Can someone tell me how to interrupt julia in VS Code?
CTRL D or CTRL C did not work.
I also searched the keyboard shortcuts…

It works for me. Check which command is bound to ctrl-c.

a copy command.
Can you please let me know what the command should be. I search for ‘interrupt’ but could not find anything

1 Like

Like this?

Note the line at the bottom: copy should only be executed when some text is selected in the terminal.
Otherwise the control-c should be passed along to execute the interrupt in the terminal.

thanks.
I meant the command for INTERRUPT. What do I need to use to interrupt Julia?

my copy keybindings seem to be working fine for me.

1 Like

Actually that’s what I meant. Make the terminal visible, and then you can use the control-c key to interrupt Julia.

ah ok.
So you are saying ‘interrupt’ is not a keybinding of VS Code?

In my case CTRL C is not working when the terminal is active (or I am too stupid for that), maybe some of the other keybindings are preventing this…
I am not quite sure what the last two items on this list here mean…

1 Like

What’s the way to start VScode with multiple threads? Juno automatically chooses 4 threads for my laptop but there is only one active thread in VScode. I am on Windws 10 64 bit.

You mean VS code or Julia?

Yeah

I don’t understand that question. What do you mean by “threads”?

He wants Threads.nthreads() > 1 which you usually get by setting the shell variable JULIA_NUM_THREADS before starting Julia.

1 Like

More generally, is it possible to start Julia with some options in VS Code? For example number of processes (say julia -p 4 )or optimization level (say julia -O3), or using a customized system image (I’m particularly interested to see if the approach to fast plotting proposed here, with julia -J myimage.so could work in an IDE). If that is currently not possible, maybe there could be a julia.commandLineFlags setting where one can specify all of this.