Updating registry takes half an hour

I am running julia 1.6.2 on SMP Debian 4.9.189-3 with kernel version 4.9.0-11-amd64.

Whenever I try to add a package, updating registry takes half an hour. I have tried to delete ~/.julia/registries folder, but the update still takes half an hour.

What should I do to fix this problem?

We probably need more information, so let us get the obvious questions out of the way:

• is this behind an enterprise firewall?
  • do you use local environments?
  • how many packages do you have installed?
  • can you check with LTS (Julia 1.6.5)?

This is a workstation in university. It is possible that there is a firewall, but I am not aware of it. I should check with our admin. What firewall settings should I check for?

Yes, I use local environments, although I tend to install all the used packages in the main environment as well.

54 directly installed packages (in Project.toml)

I will do it tomorrow

1 Like

It’s worth trying julia 1.7 as well which uses a different way to get the registry.

1 Like

Looks like this is the contender for the price. All other indicators are A-OK. I’m asking these questions because we don’t see this issue normally.

Is there an understanding which firewall properties lead to this kind of slow down?

When I think about it, it really could be the firewall. Previously, I could ssh onto my workstation from outside without problems. A couple of months ago, they’ve changed something, and now I have to use VPN. I did not pay a lot of attention to it, but I think the problems with registry update started after this VPN change.

@kristoffer.carlsson I will give 1.7 a try.

Possible explanation. You may see that in your network monitor.