Unable to install Julia v 1.6.+ on Linux - Ubuntu

Hi, I am having a very basic problem in setting up the latest version of julia on my computer. I followed the instructions on the official website and obtained the installer for the latest version 1.6.3 to obtain the file
julia-1.6.3-linux-x86_64.tar.gz
However, when I launch julia from the newly installed folder it shows version 1.4.1. Here is a snippet from the terminal

julia> pwd()
"/home/tyrus/julia-1.6.3/bin"
julia> VERSION
v"1.4.1"

which shows that although I launch the application from the supposed version 1.6.3., the version is efffectively 1.4.1.
I would appreciate if someone could point out the problem. Thanks

How are you launching Julia? My guess is you are accidentally running a different executable as a result of path issues.

1 Like

Hmm… I did navigate to the new version 1.6.3 folder and launched the julia file. I show that using the pwd() command above. But now that you mention, it may be happening that the operator system is interpreting the julia command as the one set in its PATH. I do have another version of Julia on my computer at the moment.

1 Like

Yeah, You probably need ./julia from that path to launch the version of Julia you want.

1 Like

That worked. You were absolutely right. Thank you for saving me a lot of trouble !

1 Like