The JuliaDebug repo: how to be helpful to newbies (and old hands as well)?

When one visits JuliaDebug, the page shows about a dozen repos but no guidance as to what does what, what is live, and how to make sense of it all.

I don’t have a good answer yet, but how about you all?

2 Likes

Generally organization pages aren’t the best place for this kind of information — and they don’t, anyway, see

https://github.community/t/readme-for-organization-front-page/2920/

The JuliaImages links to a common web page which provides orientation among all packages in the org (the page itself is hosted by github pages and defined as a repo inside the org).

I’m not sure whether such a page is hard to maintain in the long run.

There is this info for the Gallium package:

It is good information, but this really should be somewhere at the top, shoudn’t it?
Gallium is obsolete, so who is going to visit?

It is a pity Github organizations have no facilities for displaying information about them.
There is only the one-line description.

The Julia documentation has no information on debugging.
I guess there was no time in the past, but isn’t it time this information
was included?

I think this is just a consequence of the face that Julia’s docs are mostly reference rather than tutorial focused. I think it would be a great idea for Julia Computing to hire someone to give the docs a fairly major overflow. Ideally, we would have an official tutorial style set of docs, and cut the our docs to more of a reference.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah. The question on my mind is it it’s possible for us to make the switch without someone dedicated to doing it. Given how big our current docs are, fixing this would take a ton of work, and can’t really be broken up into small pieces.

No, someone has to champion the remake, and someone has to do the work.
It will be a major effort, but in the long run I believe it is essential.

1 Like

You can pin repositories (somehow), and maybe the most useful/active ones should be, as a hint to those most (three) useful:

I use none of these (directly) except for Infiltrator.jl which is pretty neat. I guess I’ll use the debuggers in IDEs eventually, VSCode (maybe Juno, still use both), but that doesn’t apply to you (none for your favorite editor? other than in the REPL), and most users are going to use (that) IDE and need not look up anything.

I’m also told Cthulhu.jl is pretty neat. EDIT: I forgot, Rebugger.jl seems very neat too.

I don’t remember where I saw that, but I think VSCode has ~30% of Julia users.
That leaves 70% hunting for answers…

It has over 50% of all developers, and likely will also for Julia. It doesn’t leave out 70% if (larger still?) have Juno.