Content from the talk
https://github.com/rkat/julia-meetup-may-2018

Thursday, May 24, 2018
6:30 PM to 9:00 PM

Microsoft Store
188 Pitt St, Sydney NSW 2000 · Sydney

Agenda

5.45pm - 6.30pm — Mingle and set-up
6.30pm - 7.15pm — Talk: Julia for rapid prototyping of realtime audio processing
7:15pm - 7.30 — Q&A

Speaker: Rowan Katebar

Bio + Abstract: Since 2014 I have been working at Dolby in Sydney as a software engineer. I spent 2 years working in a product team on a core C signal processing library, before moving into research. I now work as part of the Human Audio Analytics team, where our focus is identity and intent in the context of distributed and asynchronous audio. Earlier this year, with support from Dolby, I started as a part-time PhD student at UNSW in this research area. Moving to Julia from MATLAB + C has drastically cut down the time it takes to go from idea to implementation. I’ll be bringing along some live demos of the capabilities we have developed using Julia.

2 Likes

Super cool! I don’t suppose the talk will be streamed or recorded?

-s

Unfortunately, the venue provider does not allow me to film. Unless there is venue in Sydney that is available, it won’t be possible.

Ah, what a shame. Do you know if the speaker would be willing to share their slides? I’m curious what they’re up to.

-s

2 Likes

Ditto. Slides, recordings, or even just a summary would be great to have. Also curious if in your prototyping you actually attempt realtime audio directly in Julia and what kind of results you have had vis-a-vis Julia’s very batch oriented GC, and which libs you are using or have released if any.

What kind of real-time processing is it? Would be awesome if you could compile a VST plugin with Julia.

2 Likes

A photo from Julia (Julialang) Sydney last night. Close to 20 people turned up to hear a very interesting talk. Unfortunately, the venue doesn’t allow filming, so we couldn’t make it available to other Julians worldwide.

If anyone is in Sydney and can provide alternative venues then please get in touch!

Here’s Rowan’s materials on Github.

600_471382575

1 Like