Switching package registration systems soon

Trying to do my first registrator based release. Did this work:
https://github.com/tkluck/GaloisFields.jl/pull/1#issuecomment-494326819
and am I supposed to be able to tell in some way?

you should get email right away

Commenting on PR’s does not work at the moment (Allow invoking registrator from a PR · Issue #151 · JuliaRegistries/Registrator.jl · GitHub). It is better to comment on the commit you want to register.

Yes, if successful the bot replies with a comment.

Thanks! Trying that now.

Does this look right?
https://github.com/tkluck/GaloisFields.jl/commit/16f303dd73df3c4ed940da0e9487fc82c73fac18#commitcomment-33624136

No, you should have gotten a comment back within 30 sec or so. Have you enabled the registrator app on your repo?

Thanks, that was it!

I have to say I love the new package registration system. I was a bit puzzled at first, but now I think it is much easier to use than the previous one. Thanks to everyone who worked on it!

13 Likes

You’re welcome! It’s great to hear that and I’m glad you feel that way :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I have some packages that I develop and use with collaborators, but they aren’t intended to be useful to anybody but me, and I’m not likely to support somebody I don’t know through work. The code is already public, so that’s not an issue. I would like to register them to make installation and CI testing easier, and I would not like to register them because it seems like I’m saying “hey other people try using this.”

At least one of the packages shares a name with a registered package that I think has outside users registered package, since they have different UUIDs should I just not worry about it, or should I change it?

Any thoughts?

Registering a package places some level of burden on the community, so if the package is not intended for the community, I think it’s better to solve your issues in another way.

Installation and CI can both be done perfectly well for non-registered packages.

You can, however, make your own registry and tell people to add that registry, after which they’ll be able to install your package more easily.

1 Like

I would not register it then. The CI problem can be circumvented by calling Pkg.add in the script.