Switching package registration systems soon

package-manager

I have switched attobot back on, but it will now only tag packages which are enabled for Julia 0.6. Please open an issue if it doesn’t work, as I haven’t actually tested it.

6 Likes

I tried Registrator.jl for the first time but my PR isn’t being merged: https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General/pull/77

It looks like other PRs are merged within an hour. Is there something wrong with the way I made the PR?

The merging process is manual for the moment, so the “problem” is that Stefan is sleeping I guess :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah, that explains it. Sounds like a blast :rofl:

I’m a bit confused: I tagged FillArrays.jl v0.6 using the new procedure, but this is prevented by use due to upper bounds in JuliaRegistries/General in BandedMatrices.jl (https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General/blob/master/B/BandedMatrices/Compat.toml), LazyArrays.jl, and probably a few others. I have no idea where these upper bounds came from: they were added on 11 April by a sync from METADATA.jl, but The upper bounds aren’t present: BandedMatrices.jl only has a lower bound for FillArrays.jl (https://github.com/JuliaLang/METADATA.jl/blob/metadata-v2/BandedMatrices/versions/0.9.0/requires).

Any idea where these upper bounds came from? Any suggestion other than re-tagging everything?

See Dependency problem with FIllArrays

Any estimate when that might be? Any chance that a group of people could do the merging in the meantime, rather than just Stefan? Right now the last PR in General was merged more than 13 hours ago.

1 Like

When we’re more confident that the results are always correct. As to more people doing merges, there are a number of people with permissions. I’ll look into making sure those who know how to review these things are aware that they can merge PRs.

7 Likes

Just to provide feedback, the gen_project.jl worked flawlessly in my packages. Just download the file, enter in your package directory and run julia gen_project.jl. The resulting Project.toml was very good. I just needed to do minor modifications (license, current version, description, etc.), but it indeed saved me a lot of time. Thanks @StefanKarpinski!

I also removed the REQUIRE file, since it was not being used for my packages anymore (no support for Julia 0.6).

Finally, the process with Registrator.jl was also very easy. I do prefer the new workflow compared to what we had with attobot.

10 Likes

I think the silence in this thread is a testament for how seamless the transition ended up being. Thank you @StefanKarpinski :+1:

15 Likes

@Ronis_BR I ended up adapting your comment to help improve the documentation of Registrator

3 Likes

If anyone package maintainer feels that dependencies of their package or on their package have been inappropriately capped and it’s causing version resolution problems, please let me know and I can make PRs like this one to fix these bounds en masse.

1 Like
Understanding an "Unsatisfiable requirements" problems
Unsatisfiable requirements for FixedEffectModels package

Please do DynamicHMC:

Not sure this is the same problem. I just installed the latest version of Makie and cant get it to run and am not sure what I need to do to fix it, advice would be great, error output is below:

(v1.1) pkg> test Makie
   Testing Makie
 Resolving package versions...
ERROR: Unsatisfiable requirements detected for package ImageFiltering
[6a3955dd]:
 ImageFiltering [6a3955dd] log:
 ├─possible versions are: [0.0.1-0.0.2, 0.1.0-0.1.4, 0.2.0-0.2.3,
0.3.0, 0.4.0-0.4.1, 0.5.0-0.5.4, 0.6.0] or uninstalled
 ├─restricted to versions * by GLMakie [e9467ef8], leaving only
versions [0.0.1-0.0.2, 0.1.0-0.1.4, 0.2.0-0.2.3, 0.3.0, 0.4.0-0.4.1,
0.5.0-0.5.4, 0.6.0]
 │ └─GLMakie [e9467ef8] log:
 │   ├─possible versions are: 0.0.5 or uninstalled
 │   └─GLMakie [e9467ef8] is fixed to version 0.0.5
 ├─restricted to versions 0.6.0 by an explicit requirement, leaving
only versions 0.6.0
 └─restricted by compatibility requirements with MakieGallery
[dbd62bd0] to versions: [0.0.1-0.0.2, 0.1.0-0.1.4, 0.2.0-0.2.3, 0.3.0,
0.4.0-0.4.1, 0.5.0-0.5.4] — no versions left
   └─MakieGallery [dbd62bd0] log:
     ├─possible versions are: 0.0.1-0.0.7 or uninstalled
     └─restricted to versions 0.0.6-* by an explicit requirement,
leaving only versions 0.0.6-0.0.7

Not sure. @sdanisch, are there compatibility bounds issue with Makie?

Just installed it from scratch and it adds just fine.
I guess you’ll need to make sure that you freed e.g. ImageFiltering and deps!

It would be convenient if there was some sort of forceadd that changed dependency versions as needed. At the moment, half the time I just wipe my environment and start from scratch to achieve this.

Thanks for the hard work on the package registration system.
I just wanted to release a new version of a package which runs on Julia 0.6, Julia 0.7, Julia 1.0, Julia 1.1 (yes I have still some users on Julia 0.6 which I want to support).

The compat section in Project.toml (generated by gen_project.jl) reflects this correctly:

[compat]
BinDeps = "≥ 0.4.0"
julia = "≥ 0.6.0"

However, I get the following error message from JuliaRegistrator when I try to register a new version:

Error while trying to register: Julia version < 0.7 not allowed in `[compat]`

Here is the commend thread:

Somebody has any ideas what could be wrong?

You need to use the REQUIRE file and attobot to register the version for v0.6 and below. While, in the Project.toml file you need to be v0.7 and up.

2 Likes

Putting julia = "0.7, 1.0" in Project.toml and julia 0.6 in REQUIRE worked for me: